FYI (please circulate)

***********************************

Everyday Dress and the Reconstruction of Early Modern Material Culture, 1550–1650

Refashioning the Renaissance Conference

10-13 September, 2020

Aalto University, Espoo/Helsinki, Finland

Funded by European Research Council (ERC)

Speakers and respondents: John Styles, Pamela H. Smith, Sven Dupré, Evelyn Welch, Amanda Wunder, Giorgio Riello, Andrea Caracausi, Elizabeth Currie, Maria Hayward, Tessa Storey, Flora Dennis, Jenny Tiramani, Paula Hohti Erichsen, Sophie Pitman, Michele Robinson, Stefania Montemezzo, Anne-Kristina Sindlvald Larsen, Piia Lempiäinen, Maarit Kalmakurki, Valerio Zanetti, Miriam Pugliese, and early career researchers.

This international conference develops new perspectives in early modern dress and fashion history by asking two interrelated key questions: How did fashion beyond groups of wealthy elites develop in early modern Europe, and how can we gain access to the culture of lower social groups when so few garments survive, and sources about clothes are fragmentary? Combining archival, material, and pictorial evidence with experimental hands-on work and reconstruction, this conference explores the key agents of fashion change at the lower social levels in Early Modern Europe, and investigates how experimental work and material-based approaches can help us understand and access early modern dress and material culture.

An exhibition presenting the results of the Refashioning project will be open for conference participants.  We also have limited places available for our hands-on Silk Fibre Preparation workshop on Sunday 13 September.

Registration opens on 2 March, 2020

PROGRAMME AND REGISTRATION: refashioningrenaissance.eu/conference

Kind regards,

PAULA HOHTI ERICHSEN

PhD | Professor of History of Art and Culture

Scientific director, ERC-Refashioning (grant no.726195)

AALTO UNIVERSITY

+358 50 4384180 | paula.hohti(at)aalto.fi

refashioningrenaiscnce.eu |  Please consider the environment before printing

To unsubscribe from the MAT-REN list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=MAT-REN&A=1