From: Jennifer Waters <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 07 January 2020 20:38
To: Jason Swedlow (Staff) <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Quantitative Imaging: From Acquisition to Analysis course at CSHL

I wanted to let you know about an upcoming optical microscopy and image analysis course taught and organized by Talley Lambert, Anna Jost, Hunter Elliott, Florian Jug, Suliana Manley and myself at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, called Quantitative Imaging: From Acquisition to Analysis.  The course runs from March 24 - April 7, 2020, with applications due on January 31

I’ve been organizing the course since 2011.  We cover all of the major microscopy modalities – from the basics (widefield, confocal, TIRF) to the more advanced (super-res, light sheet). With the help of Hunter and Florian, we have been updating the course to include more quantitative exercises and image analysis, including machine learning approaches.  Our emphasis on the practical aspects of acquiring and analyzing quantitative imaging data makes our course different from the other microscopy courses out there.  We have daily quantitative lab exercises and trouble-shooting discussion groups.  We also have one-on-one consultations with students about their own projects – much like we do routinely for our core facilities users.

Our course has received excellent reviews from the students every year.  We accept only 16 students (far less than other courses!), and usually have a mix of biologists, physicists, mathematicians and more – which makes for an excellent learning experience for all.  We have strong support from vendors in the form of equipment loans - so each student gets lots of hands-on time with state-of-the-art microscopes during the labs.  We use ImageJ/FIJI or other open source software for all of the image analysis labs, so the students can immediately apply what they learn to their projects, without needing to purchase commercial software.

If you are interested in educating your students or post-docs in quantitative imaging, we hope you will encourage them to apply.  The course is supported by the NCI and the Hemsley Foundation, so CSHL is able to offer financial aid to many students to help cover tuition costs.

We would also appreciate if you could hang up the attached poster, and forward this email to any colleagues you think might be interested.

Thanks!
Jennifer

Jennifer C. Waters, PhD
Director of the Nikon Imaging Center & Lecturer in Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Imaging Scientist

UK-EUROBIOIMAGING
Visit the website http://www.bioimaginguk.org
To e-mail the group, send messages to  [log in to unmask]
To subscribe visit https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=UK-EUROBIOIMAGING-PROJECT
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/BioImagingUK

To unsubscribe from the IAFIG-RMS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=IAFIG-RMS&A=1