Dear colleagues,

we are pleased to invite you to the second international conference of the CRC 1265 "Re-Figuration of Spaces" at Technische Universität Berlin, taking place 26th and 27th of February.

Participation is free of any conference fees, but we kindly ask you to register at https://sfb1265.de/veranstaltungen/polycontextural-spatial-arrangements/?

Very much looking forward to welcoming you and with kind regards
Nina Meier

?

[https://sfb1265.de/wp-content/uploads/header_1152.png]

Dear colleagues,

***with apologies for cross-posting***

The Collaborative Research Centre "Re-Figuration of Spaces"(CRC 1265) cordially invites to their second international conference at Technische Universität Berlin:

Februar 2020

26-27

Re-Figuration of Spaces: Polycontextural Spatial Arrangements

Second International Conference of the CRC 1265

The theoretical discourse of the CRC 1265 "Re-Figuration of Spaces" focuses on three key concepts - translocalization, mediatization and polycontexturalization - with which we assume to be able to describe the quality of current spatial production more precisely. Among  these, the concept of polycontexturalization is the most associative and the one that still needs thorough  empirical research and validation. Therefore, this concept will be discussed in more depth at our second international conference. Five projects from our CRC will participate with contributions conceptualizing polycontexturalization in terms of its empirical relevance, inviting debate with twelve  international theoretical and practical perspectives from external researchers.

According to Niklas Luhmann, polycontexturalization is not action-relevant for individual systems, because each system refers to one context only. Thus, polycontexturalization remains a meta-phenomenon that can only be recognized with the help of second-order observations. Contrary to Luhmann, we understand polycontexturalization as the increasing heterogenization of references to action, impacting on the constitution of space, and with a direct significance for organizations and actors. Individual spaces can both be produced by references to different contexts and require the synthesis of these contexts by the actors or producers of space.

We seek to further develop the concept of polycontexturalization from the etymological meaning of "contexture" as a process of weaving or interacting with regard to the simultaneity of different socio-spatial relations. For the polycontexturalization of action references, we propose testing the usefulness of the reflexive analysis of relational perceptivity, as practiced, for example, in postcolonial thinking, but also in intersectional theory. Here we see the need for a more in-depth discussion, preferably with reference to the empirical material collected in the projects.

Keynote speakers: Albena Yaneva, Hubert Knoblauch
Invited speakers: Ulrich Ermann, Joyce Nyairo, Alessandra Ponte, Shalini Randeria, Uwe Schimank

No conference fees, but please register by February 15, 2020 on our conference homepage:
https://sfb1265.de/en/events/polycontextural-spatial-arrangements/

The detailed program is attached. Please feel free to share it with anyone interested.

We are looking forward to seeing you at our conference and contributing to a lively discussion.

Best regards
Nina Elsemann

SFB 1265 "Re-Figuration von Räumen"
Technische Universität Berlin