The written history of Scotland was ripped apart when one of the two ships bringing the national archives home sank in a storm.

The Queen of Burntisland succumbed to treacherous conditions on December 18, 1661, around 18 miles from the Northumberland coast, with more than 80 barrels of archive material disappearing to the bottom of the sea.

The documents were destroyed on their return journey to Scotland following their removal to London by Oliver Cromwell.

http://bit.ly/2Ye61g7
http://bit.ly/2Ye61g7+

--
Peterk