Only a fraction of confidential State documents from 1989, which are due for release under the 30-year rule, will be available to the public because of insufficient storage facilities and staff shortages at the National Archive.

The difficulties also mean that a 2018 law providing for earlier release of State papers does not look feasible into the foreseeable future.

Papers from Government departments dating from 1989 will be made available to the public from January. The keeper of Archives and Government Services, Helen Hewson, said that because of a lack of storage it is only in a position to receive 800 of 2,500 boxes of archival material.

http://bit.ly/2P1d74S
http://bit.ly/2P1d74S+
--
Peterk