This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. -------------------------------

Hi all,

I’m currently planning a big display of our costume collection early next year, and most of the garments are looking very crumpled. Our old steamer has finally died (after a good 20 years’ sterling service) and I’m trying to identify a replacement.  I’m slightly thrown by the huge range available, but my real quandary is whether to go for a small, easily portable, handheld, domestic ‘travel-style’ steamer (a ‘like-for-like’ replacement) or should I splash out  - pardon the pun – on a larger, more powerful steamer of the type used in the theatrical wardrobe or commercial retail field?

My main concerns are that the commercial variety may be too powerful & pose a potential risk to historic costume, and that their size & hose length might make them unwieldy to use in a tight space.

I’d be interested to hear how others have addressed this issue.

Regards

Jill Holmen

Collections Officer

Community, Culture & Wellbeing

Office: (01992) 564995 Mobile: 07789 372223

Epping Forest District Museum

39 – 41 Sun Street, Waltham Abbey, EN9 1EL \ 01992 716882 \ www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/museum

Lowewood Museum

High Street, Hoddesdon, EN11 8BH \ 01992 445596 \ www.broxbourne.gov.uk/lowewoodmuseum

  cid:image002.jpg@01D4C3A9.FF215190  email signature    cid:image003.jpg@01D54265.0169AAD0

Epping Forest District Council, Community & Partnerships, Civic Offices, 323 High Street, Epping, Essex, CM16 4BZ

EFDC Logo

DISCLAIMER
This email is for the use of the intended recipients only. Any opinion or advice it contains is that of the sender and does not bind the authority in any way. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete the message. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise that you carry out your own virus checks on an attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.

Internet email is not a secure communication medium, and we advise that you observe this lack of security when emailing us.

Epping Forest District Council

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST