From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Paul Smyth
Sent: 20 November 2019 16:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: EHCp - FE Funding Element 2

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me?

Fortunately, I am not responsible for managing the funding for students with EHCps, I am the person on the ground, dealing with day to day matters. My manager, who is very pragmatic and effective is relatively new and this is her first year of battling through the funding mechanisms relating to EHCps.

This might sound like a naïve question, or should I say questions… but could anyone offer some advice on the following:

We receive a certain allocation for our High Needs Students – i.e. for who the college has to claim element 3 funding (i.e. over £6,000 element 2, or £10,000 in total). My query relates to the students that have EHCps but whose costs fall under £6,000. Is there separate funding for those students that a college can claim? I believe there is, as otherwise, why would a college want to take on a student that might cost £5,999 in additional support for which the college cannot claim? We have heard of colleges that claim for EHCp student whose expenses fall in element 2 claiming for this e.g. a weekly 1:1 at a cost of £50 per session x 33. However, our Finance Dept. does not agree that funding can be accessed.

It was always explained to me that colleges are encouraged to attract/support students with EHCps and funding obviously makes this more attractive and helps to break down a financial barrier for taking on a student. If there was no other funding for students that fall in element 2 only, surely this would be a disincentive for colleges to take on students with EHCps with smaller costs?

I doubt I am making sense as I am a little weary and have written this rather quickly, after a long day; perhaps my email is very naïve, but this has been bugging me for some time and I have never really had my query answered to my satisfaction (though I have had it explained and my processing is not the best in the world!!). 😊

Any help/advise would be great appreciated, but please keep it simple! 😊

Kind regards, Paul.

This email has been scanned byhttps://clicktime.symantec.com/39whR5Z5C3ynztZh4iWM3kx6H2?u=The%20Lambeth%20College%20IT%20Services%20Development%20Team%3CBR%3EFor%20more%20information please contact the IT Helpdesk on x5888 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

This e-mail and its attachment(s) has been sent from and on behalf of Lambeth College.  The information or opinions in this message (including any attachment(s)) are those of the author and are not necessarily those of Lambeth College, which disclaims responsibility for loss or damage arising from its use to the maximum extent permitted by law.

This e-mail and any attachment is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient or that you have received it in error, please notify the author immediately by telephone or by replying to this e-mail. Please delete all copies of the e-mail on your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, rely or take any action based on this e-mail.

Unless and to the extent expressly set out in this e-mail, otherwise in writing between Lambeth College and you elsewhere, this e-mail is not intended to form the basis of a binding agreement between Lambeth College and you.

Whilst we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that this e-mail and any attachment(s) has been checked for viruses and in accordance with good computing practice, we cannot guarantee that they are virus free and we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses. It is the recipient’s responsibility to check any e-mails and attachment(s) for viruses.