Message from Maternity Action:
'On Monday, Maternity Action began a judicial review of the policy of charging vulnerable migrant women for NHS maternity care.  We are challenging the practice of issuing bills of 7,000 or more to destitute pregnant women, deterring them from attending essential health care appointments.  The challenge is broadly framed and has the potential to benefit a wide group of migrants, including those in receipt of local authority support.
We are arguing for the Government to undertake the long overdue review of the impact of charging on equalities groups.  We are also calling for a widening of the current exemptions to include:

-          Destitute families (who are mostly lone mothers with children) who receive Section 17 support from their local authority

-          Pregnant women and women with new born babies to access maternity care
As well as all the work we have been doing on this judicial review since November 2018, we would like to give special thanks the many groups who have taken the time to speak to us about the challenge and to prepare evidence in support.
We have had a very skilled and committed legal team working on the challenge: Janet Farrell of Bhatt Murphy, Jason Coppel QC, Shu Shin Luh and Laura Profumo. While our legal costs are covered, we are fundraising through CrowdJustice<https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/stopmaternitycarecharging/> to cover our cost risk, which is estimated at 10,000.  This is a lot of money for a small charity, and comes on top of the already considerable investment of resources to prepare for the challenge.
We would like to ask you to share our CrowdJustice<https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/stopmaternitycarecharging/> through your networks and on social media, so please do forward this email on to the relevant person at your organisation.'
A fuller briefing is attached.
Please donate and pass the message on

Suggested social media content:

1.       Maternity Action is challenging the Government's policy of charging vulnerable migrant women for their #maternitycare. Give your support to their #judicialreview so #AllMothers can get the care they urgently need:  https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/stopmaternitycarecharging/

2.       Find out how Maternity Action's research and campaigning has lead to a legal challenge against the Government's #NHS charging policy that impacts on vulnerable migrant women and their families #AllMothers  #maternitycare https://maternityaction.org.uk/2019/10/legal-challenge-to-charging-for-nhs-maternity-care/

Alison Macfarlane
School of Health Sciences
City, University of London
1, Myddelton Street
London EC1R 1UW
Phone (0) (44) 207 040 5832

Email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
http://www.city.ac.uk/people/academics/alison-macfarlane

This email and its contents are the property of City University London. If you are not the intended recipient of this message and any attached files, please delete it. Unauthorised copying or distribution of this message, its attachments or parts thereof, is strictly prohibited unless specifically stated otherwise.

Please consider the environment before printing my email