Hi everyone,
Here are some upcoming training and networking events across Yorkshire in the next few months.
Best wishes to all, Kate

Yorkshire Accessible Museums Network:
We have set the next few dates and venues for the Yorkshire Accessible Museums Network, and they are….

•         Monday 4 November 2019 at York Minster, hosted by Alex O’Donnell

o   Free, but please book at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/yorkshire-accessible-museums-network-tickets-72262136997
•         Thursday 19 March 2020 at the M&S Archive, Leeds, hosted by Caroline Bunce
•         Date tbc. July 2020 at the Hepworth, hosted by Rachel Craddock

Each free networking meeting involves national and local news, time for sharing and some training. Look out for booking details.

To make it easier to manage the network and get information out, we have set up a jiscmail.
To subscribe to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Just click on this link https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=YAMN&A=1
You’ll be asked for your email address and given the option to personalise some of your settings.  Once accepted, your posts will be visible to other members of the list. Please note, due to list owners being on holiday, there may be a delay before your request is accepted.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: @YorkshireAMN

LAST SPACE LEFT!
Yorkshire Accessible Museums Network:
Sensory Evaluation training – turning qualitative feedback into quantitative data
Monday 14 October 2019, 10:00 -4:30, Kirkstall Abbey, Abbey Road, Leeds LS5 3EH

Getting meaningful feedback from disabled children and young people can often be difficult. Written questionnaires, even those using symbols rather than words, can be restrictive or overwhelming.  Facilitated discussions really need to be run by trained facilitators and even the biggest chatterbox in the group has a disconcerting habit of clamming up in these situations. In addition, there’s the tricky task of converting qualitative responses into quantitative data to persuade donors to continue funding, or organisations to keep delivering the activities which have such a benefit and impact for the disabled visitor audience.

The training will be delivered by Leeds based Purple Patch Arts who have extensive experience of gathering data from adults and children with learning disabilities, using integrated, creative methods to ensure that results are as meaningful as possible, while allowing for numerical interpretation where possible. In 2018 Purple Patch delivered and evaluated an event for blind and partially sighted children at Eureka!  using sensory activities, which elicited fantastic, illuminating responses from the children and their parents. Purple Patch then converted those responses into easy-to-read, topline numerical data which was included in the funders’ report, making it easy to see the huge benefits resulting from the activity.

Phil Chambers Consultancy will also deliver a 1hr workshop on universal design principles. Phil works to enable everyone to visit and enjoy our natural, historic and cultural heritage, through working to remove barriers and by building bridges to social inclusion. And, there’s also mindful and lunch!

£45 per head, with all refreshments and lunch included.
To book go to: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sensory-evaluation-training-turning-qualitative-feedback-into-quantitative-data-tickets-68166147783
The training day is aimed at museum professionals, but all other artforms are welcome!
Brought to you as part of the Yorkshire Accessible Museums Network.

GEM Yorkshire and Humberside:
The how's, what's, when's and who's of evaluation in a museum context
Wednesday 13 November 2019, 14:30 – 17:30, National Railway Museum, York

The amount of audience research that the museums, culture and tourism sectors commission from external evaluators and agencies is ever increasing – but how do we plan research to make this useful, and impactful? How do we write a research brief that works for both the institution and the researcher themselves?

This event from the Visitor Studies Group and GEM is aimed at people who want to plan evaluation, and then commission this from an external agency or individual. The aim is to bridge the understanding between what organisations want and need from research projects, and how researchers and evaluators understand organisations’ needs and respond to research briefs appropriately.

‘Commissioning audience research’ is aimed at anyone who is involved in visitor research or evaluation in any size of institution. The event will have a practical workshop followed by a panel discussion which will cover:

• Why am I evaluating? creating the groundwork for impactful research
• Writing and responding to excellent research briefs – the need to be clear, concise and realistic
• Procurement process – scoring criteria, whether to interview and appointing
• Stakeholder needs – commissioning research that meets the needs of both internal stakeholders and external stakeholders such as funders.

Confirmed panel speakers include Jane Rayner, Head of Audience Research at the Science Museum Group.

GEM member: £5; non-members: £20.
To book go to: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-hows-whats-whens-and-whos-of-evaluation-in-a-museum-context-tickets-62346590330

GEM Yorkshire and Humberside:
How to build place-based school curriculums using museum collections
Tuesday 4 February 2020, 12:30 – 4:30, Leeds Discovery Centre

A place based curriculum is about a place, for a place and by a place. It is designed to enhance the learning experiences of our children. There are a number of pieces of research (by the RSA, and individual cities) that indicate that grounding children in their city through place based learning raises their attainment and encourages them to be active citizens. Matched with the engagement we know is possible through arts and culture, we want to put culture at the heart of our place based formal learning curriculum for Leeds.
Jane Avison from Hull Culture and Leisure, and Kate Fellows from Leeds Museums and Galleries have developed successful place based learning curriculums for their cities focused on museum collections, arts and heritage. Come and explore the models, find out what worked and what didn't and how you can develop something similar in your area.

GEM member: £5; non-members: £20.
Please book at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/how-to-build-place-based-school-curriculums-using-museum-collections-tickets-67020501123

Leeds Museums and Galleries in partnership with GEM Yorkshire and Humberside:
Breaking the mould: creating the conditions for culturally savvy initial teacher training in museums
Wednesday 25 March 2020, 1-4:30pm, Leeds Discovery Centre

As museum professionals, we want to train arts and culturally savvy teachers for the future. It means they will engage with us throughout their careers, inspire their pupils and foster meaningful, impactful engagements with the arts. Over the last three years, LMG has overhauled how we work with ITT providers, learning from the things that have worked, discarding those that no longer do, and creating a sustainable model for the future. LMG have been working with two academic institutions, York St John University and Leeds Trinity University, and several teacher training alliances and SCITTs, on action research to ascertain how teaching trainees object learning skills during their initial teacher training ultimately influences their classroom teaching and learning. It's about training culturally-savvy teachers in a consistent, best practice way that will shape how they interact with arts and cultural organisations throughout their careers.

During this study afternoon, we will look at:

•        The teacher training landscape now: what's a SCITT? Do you have to go to uni?

•        The Leeds model: what can we learn? How can we replicate the model in other locations? What can you do to make that happen?

•        Where are the gaps? What do the trainees think? What's the most helpful thing for universities?

Speakers and further information to follow shortly.
Study afternoon in partnership with GEM Yorkshire and Humberside, Leeds Trinity University and York St John University.

Free of charge, but please book at:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/breaking-the-mould-creating-the-conditions-for-culturally-savvy-initial-teacher-training-in-museums-tickets-66561064937

Kate Fellows
Head of Learning and Access, Leeds Museums and Galleries,
07891 276891, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Please note I work Monday – Thursday

[WINNER - educational initiative]46,956 children aged 0-19 participated in school visits to our museums and galleries and in workshops in other settings and at least 1350 pupils used our loans boxes during 2018-9, supported by 7028 teachers. We trained 1204 teachers in the same year.

Make a statement. Be creative. Be curious. Start a conversation.
museumsandgalleries.leeds.gov.uk<https://museumsandgalleries.leeds.gov.uk/>

Museums and Heritage Award winners 2019 for the Leeds Curriculum. Find it on: www.mylearning.org<http://www.mylearning.org/>

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.
The Council does not accept service of legal documents by e-mail.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + GEM list: Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> Anyone can join for free at any time by sending this message to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>: Join GEM Firstname Secondname Include only the text above, without email signature etc. The title of the email doesn’t matter. Send it to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> If you are going on holiday or have an out of office message for some other reason, you can send this message: Set GEM nomail When you get back: Set GEM mail You don’t 'miss' any messages by doing this as they are all available via main GEM list web page as above. Finally, if you need to change your email address, but stay subscribed to GEM, just send your new email address like this: CHANGE GEM [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Be a hero, fight infection, go and get a flu injection
Find out here <http://www.leeds.gov.uk/flujab>