Very interesting discussion. On your remarks - writing for learning- writing theorists have analysed how knowledge is transformed during writing, which is a distinct form of learning (Hayes & Flower, 1980, 1981), and how knowledge is "constituted" during writing (Galbraith et al, 2005, 2008). The distinction is between learning as transformation, constitution and formulation, as distinct from learning as memorisation - banking given knowledge as if like a deposit.

Not only does knowledge transform during writing, but the writer's identity as a learner and writer transforms through writing (Ivanic, 1998; Burgess & Ivanic, 2010). This is how, in those activities of writintg, writers disambiguate their own ideas from the main ideas of others. Argument is always perspectival, and coheres around adopting a perspective from which other perspectives can be measured. Thus, identity building is embedded in adopting a perspective, in the writer's point of view, balanced from the availability of other perspective- new perspectives being a key point of new learning and new knowledge. Aileen