 Dear colleagues,

The following organizations have just released statements in support of persecuted psychologists in Turkey:

European Community Psychology AssociationSocietà Italiana di Psicologia di Comunità (SIPCO) - ItalyOrdine degli Psicologi della Campania - Italy Associazione per la Responsabilita Sociale - Italy Psychologists for Social Responsibility - USA

One of these statements is attached. Here is an excerpt:

Public Statement in Support of Persecuted Psychologists in Turkey  We write on behalf of the European Community Psychology Association (ECPA) to express our concern about the prosecution of scholars who signed the declaration “We will not be a party to this crime”— commonly referred to as the “Academics for Peace Petition.”   Among those academics being tried in court is Dr. Serdar M. Değirmencioğlu, with the charge of “propagandizing for a terrorist organization.” Dr. Değirmencioğlu has been in exile since July 2016 and his trial is continuing in his absence at the 30th Heavy Penal Court in Istanbul.
 On September 11, the fourth hearing in Dr. Değirmencioğlu’s trial will be held. In a recent decision, the Constitutional Court of Turkey has ruled that the “Academics for Peace Petition” should be considered under freedom of expression. It has, therefore, become clear that the charges against him are baseless and should be dropped immediately.

We urge the authorities to drop the charges against Dr. Değirmencioğlu and all other psychologists on trial with similar charges immediately.  We urge the government of Turkey to desist from repressing academic freedom and freedom of expression for scholars, researchers, and both undergraduate and graduate students in Turkey.

Serdar M. Değirmencioğlu             Tweets as @DirenenSerdaR
President, Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict, and Violence: Peace Psychology
Past President, European Community Psychology Association Permanent Director, Institute for Trivial Studies