Dear All

I watch this strand with interest. Two strands combine here in my mind.

One strand is the privilege of serving people as minister at their times of greatest need and so the sense of vocation finds fulfilment there.

The second strand is that as part of the NHS, I have a job there requires me to do on call as part of my contractual obligations. As chaplains we are exceedingly privileged in this respect as we have agreed pay conditions for doing on call. Agenda for change recognised that, so we are now  paid  9% for a minimum of 1 in 3 on call cover. I am assuming that most chaplains have a contract of employment and have agreed to do on call!
I guess when both those strands come together, we are immensely privileged to serve in this way and we are getting well paid for it.

Perhaps we need to remember that our medical colleagues do on call but do not usually get paid for it - it is simply part of their contract.
Perhaps as chaplains we should act graciously towards our colleagues who have to organise rotas and make sure they are fair and equitable for everyone.
No one likes to have their social life disrupted by on call, but that is a very different picture to parish life when 7 days a week was the name of the game!

Blessings

Derek

Revd Dr Derek J Fraser
Deputy Lead Chaplain at Addenbrooke's Hospital
Affiliated Lecturer, Faculty of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge
Senior Associate of the Cambridge Theological Federation
Director  of UK Board for Healthcare Chaplaincy ( academic lead officer)
Cambridge
CB2 2QQ

Board registered chaplain with UKBHC.
[accredited-registers-quality-mark]

Telephone: 01223 217843 and Email:[log in to unmask]