Greetings,

I have been reading through the comments but as I a min Australia I thought my input might be distracting.

I will say that even though our arrangements might be different in Australia, the issue of on-call seems to be a world wide issue. How do we respond to the need of patients at the time and urgency they have and how do we maintain good self-care?

At the hospital where I am appointed Coordinator, we have 3.0 FTE of Chaplains provided by three different church denominations, plus the Coordinator (1.0fte).

When I arrived the on-call was worked through where each person took a full, seven day week and it simply rotated. Therefore each person had a seven day period, every four weeks.

We changed our system where each person had one day of the week, e.g. my day and night is Tuesday. We also then have Friday night , Sat, Sun once a month.

This seems to be working well.

We are not financially compensated but take time off in lieu when needed. When people are unwell or on annual leave we cover for each other.

Steve Mills

Spiritual Care Coordinator (SALHN)

m. 0468 537 360

e. [log in to unmask]