From: A network for chaplains, educationalists and researchers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of KNIGHT, David (SUSSEX COMMUNITY NHS FOUNDATION TRUST)
Sent: 08 August 2019 11:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Honorary contracts for chaplains

Dear all,

I'd be grateful for advice about the following. I am the first paid chaplain directly employed by my community based Trust. I have inherited a number of historical solutions to chaplaincy provision in our small, community units (typically 30/40 patient bedded units) resourced by parish clergy. The volunteer chaplains are mainly sourced from the congregations of these clergy and are registered with us as volunteer chaplains. However, the 'supervising' parish clergy aren't registered with us. It feels inappropriate to treat them as volunteer chaplains, as they are more akin in many ways to other professionals visiting patients/clients in the units. However, some form of registration I think is necessary. I am thinking along the lines of creating 'honorary contracts' for these guys. Does anyone have any experience of how best to manage situations like this? I ought to add that the local staff teams are happy with the chaplaincy services provided in this way and I don't want to disrupt something that is both free, and working well.

Kind regards,

David

[http://thepulse/images/patient-care/hello-my-name-is-logo-web.png]
David Knight
Chaplain and Spiritual Care Lead

Please note that I am available Tuesday to Friday each week.

Ground Floor
Arundel Building
Brighton General Hospital
Elm Grove
Brighton BN2 3EW
01273 696011 ext. 2555
Mobile : 07787 860667
E Mail [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Website: www.sussexcommunity.nhs.uk<http://www.sussexcommunity.nhs.uk/>

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/NHS_SCT
Friend us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/sussexcommunitynhs<http://www.facebook.com/sussexcommunitynhs>

Excellent care at the heart of the community

compassionate care I working together I achieving ambitions I delivering excellence