Hi Mark,

No we have no involvement.

My understanding is that Social Service try to discover any next of kin and if there are none that they provide the standard basic funeral including a service and I believe any friends  are allowed/encouraged to attend. If any family are identified then they look at recovering money from any estate in the same way hospitals used to.

We still provide support to our women’s services department together with our bereavement team. We hold a monthly cremation with service and one without service for still birth and fetal remains/tissues and support individual funerals for full terms as required by families.

Happy to share further on group or directly if that will help.

best wishes,

Nigel

Rev'd Nigel M. Goodfellow MA

Head of Chaplaincy

Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Trust Headquarters

Freeman Hospital

Freeman Rd.,

High Heaton,

Newcastle upon Tyne,

NE7 7DN

Direct Line: 0191 2821510

Switchboard: 0191 233 6161

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

trust logo for signature

This electronic mail, including any attachments, is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. The opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual, and are not necessarily the views of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. This communication may contain information protected by law from being passed on or circulated. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error, you are advised that any use, printing, copying, forwarding or distribution of this email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform the sender that this message has gone astray before deleting it.