If this email does not display correctly you can access it at  https://go.alt.ac.uk/Digest511

Weekly News Digest - Issue 511, 1 July 2019

Welcome to this week's news digest. In this edition:

  1. Updates for Members
  2. News, events, courses and Calls for Proposals
  3. Jobs
  4. New publications from #altc blog and Research in Learning Technology

1. Updates for Members

FEATURED - ALT Annual Conference 2019 - Early Bird Registration - 1 week to go!

Early Bird Registration closes on Tuesday 9th July 2019! With just one week left to secure your early bird rate, register today. If you are not already a member you can join as an Associate Member and receive the discounts if your organisation holds an Organisational Membership. Alternatively, you can join ALT as an individual member at the time of booking for only £55 and receive the membership discount. More information about the conference and registration fees is available on the ALT Annual Conference 2019 website.

Accommodation Information

If you haven't already sorted your accommodation we have now added lots of information to our website, with options in and around the University of Edinburgh. We have agreed some discounted rates with Edinburgh First, for delegates attending the conference. You can access these discount codes through our website. There are also a whole host of other options listed on the website, including hotels and apartments.

Please see our website for information, discount codes and links to accommodation options.

Next submission deadline
5pm (UK time) Friday

Next publication date
Weekly on Mondays

Submit your news
via this form

Social media
Follow #altc for updates

#altc Blog
Read recent posts

Research in Learning Technology
Open Access - recent articles

Next ALT Assembly online meeting, 03 July 2019, 12:30 - 13:30

The Assembly is the overarching Member committee advising the ALT Board of Trustees. The Assembly is chaired by the President of ALT, Martin Weller, and provides greater representation for Members and in particular Member groups, in the governance of the Association. The next online  meeting of the ALT Assembly is 03 July 2019 at 12:30 BST. The event page has more information about the next meeting and instructions on how to participate.

Call for Expressions of Interest to Chair the 2020 ALT Annual Conference

We are seeking experienced Co-Chairs for the 2020 ALT Annual Conference Committee. The Co-Chairs will play a major role in planning and delivery of the conference in 2020.

We are looking to appoint two or three people with the following qualities:

  • national/international standing in the Learning Technology field;
  • the commitment and vision to make the conference a success;
  • the capacity to chair a major international conference, and its programme committee;
  • enthusiasm for and/or experience of working with the ALT community and being a Member of ALT.

Applications to become a Co-Chair for 2020 close on the 15 July 2019. This news item includes more information about becoming a Co-Chair and how to apply.

Call for Members to get involved in ALT

It’s that time of year where we invite our Members to come and get more involved with ALT.  Taking an active part in the work of the Association ensures that all activities are shaped by Members’ priorities and also offer valuable opportunities for professional development and recognition.We are seeking expressions of interest from our Members from:

  1. all sectors of education and training including schools, vocational education, Higher Education and work-based learning
  2. people in research, practitioner, management, technical and policy roles as well as learners who have a special interest in Learning Technology
  3. the private and public sectors
  4. within and outside the UK (subject to reaching an agreement on an effective method of participation).

Please refer to the full call to get involved to find out more information and how to express an interest.

Back to top

2. News, events, courses and calls for proposals

Applications open for MSc Blended and Online Education starting September 2019

Applications are now open for the relaunched MSc Blended and Online Education, which is a part-time, fully online programme for educational professionals seeking to develop their critical understanding and skills in the area of teaching and learning with technology. Providing opportunities to develop, implement and evaluate the use of technology for open and inclusive learning and teaching, the programme is designed to complement professional practice, allowing participants to develop a personal, evidence-based approach. This award-winning programme has been redesigned to reflect current developments and challenges in the areas of technology and education. Exit points are offered at PG Cert (3 modules), PG Dip (6 modules), and MSc (6 modules + digital dissertation). Apply now to start in September 2019. For more information visit  https://go.alt.ac.uk/2FJfHaK

TELFest Live 2019 - watch from 2 July 2019

TELFest, the annual Technology Enhanced Learning Festival from the University of Sheffield is going to be broadcast live. Starting at 10:00 BST on Tuesday 2nd July, we will be streaming a selection of talks from our varied programme. Viewers will have the opportunity to ask questions via the livestream, and we would encourage you all to join the conversation on Twitter at #telfest. For more information, please visit https://go.alt.ac.uk/2FJfNiC

Back to top

3. Jobs

NEW - Swansea University - Academic Developer

ISS
Ref: SD01859
£29515 to £33199 per annum
Full time, Temporary
Closing date: 14 July 2019
Informal enquiries to Simon Gibbon: [log in to unmask]
https://go.alt.ac.uk/2J0DPay

The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies - e-Learning Developer

Digital Education Unit
Ref: 048283
£33,199 - £39,609
Fixed term, initially 1 year
Closing date: 01 July 2019
Informal enquiries to Eoghan Clarkson; [log in to unmask]
https://go.alt.ac.uk/2IEOB6t

Moorfields Eye Hospital/UCL Institute of Ophthalmology - Learning Technologist

Education
Ref: 273-DN-4245
£29,057 - £36,134
Full time, Fixed Term for 2 years
Closing date: 07 July 2019
Informal enquiries to Nora Colton ([log in to unmask])
https://go.alt.ac.uk/2xdRrsk

NEW - Coventry University - Learning Designer

Coventry University Online
Ref: REQ007060
GBP 36,734 to GBP 41,056 per annum
Permanent
Closing date: 03 July 2019
https://go.alt.ac.uk/2x7AQ9K

Moorfields/UCL - e-Learning Project Assistant

Institute of Opthalmology
£35,000 FTE (max. 16 hours per week)
Part time, Temporary
Informal enquiries to Anu Sharma ([log in to unmask])
https://go.alt.ac.uk/2FhbDhu

The University of Edinburgh - Lecturer in Biological Education

School of Biological Sciences
Ref: 048272
£40,792- 48,677
Full time
Closing date: 15 July 2019
Informal enquiries to Dr Patrick Walsh         [log in to unmask]
https://go.alt.ac.uk/2Fj6hCn

Back to top

4. New publications from #altc blog and Research in Learning Technology

#ALTC Blog

Research in Learning Technology

  • Developing and evaluating virtual anatomy resources for teaching allied health disciplines
    Nicola Massy-Westropp, Eileen Giles, Rachaelle Dantu, Harsha Wechalekar, Arjun Burlakoti- https://go.alt.ac.uk/2x7HUmB
  • Use of the game-based learning platform KAHOOT! to facilitate learner engagement in Animal Science students
    Kristie E. Cameron, Lewis A. Bizo - https://go.alt.ac.uk/30tAUxP
  • Beacons: A tool for 21st Century teaching and learning?
    Charles Atherton - https://go.alt.ac.uk/2VBPTTv
  • Using a handwriting app leads to improvement in manual dexterity in kindergarten children
    Christi Butler, Ricardo Pimenta, Jodi Tommerdahl, Chadwick T. Fuchs, Priscila Caçola - https://go.alt.ac.uk/2UyinAv

Back to top

The ALT News Digest is published on Mondays. Deadline for submissions 5pm Friday. Submit your items via https://www.alt.ac.uk/news/alt-news-digest

---

Disclaimer. Reasonable care is taken to ensure that the ALT Digest is accurate. But ALT does not vouch for the accuracy of information provided on websites to which the digest links, and opinions expressed on those sites should not be construed to be those of ALT.

######################################################################## -- An announcements list for members of the Association for Learning Technology (ALT). To switch ALT-ANNOUNCE to receive output from the list in digest form, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message set ALT-ANNOUNCE digest in the body of the email. To unsubscribe to ALT-ANNOUNCE, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message leave ALT-ANNOUNCE, in the body of the email. --