Dear Arturo,

As far as the bone basis is concerned: Boessneck et al. 1964 indicate persistent differences in shape of ungual phalanges, but I don't know how far this has been corroborated by later research. Couturier 1962 "Le Bouquetin des Alpes", I remember, enlarges on the "climbing apparatus" of ibex/capra; this substrate adaptation issue (soft/hard/snow) of artiodactyl ungual/third phalanges resurfaces on different spots (Guthrie: Bison; Paaver: elk), I think it is a very interesting and important topic.Erich Pucher also discriminates native (mountain/climbing adaptation) and Roman cattle breeds by ungual morphology/3rd phalanx. I send you copies of an old "animal track" field guide, meant to discriminate between sheep/goat/"mufflon"(sic!).

all best wishes

Karl