Dear Arturo,

As far as the bone basis is concerned: Boessneck et al. 1964 indicate
persistent differences in shape of ungual phalanges, but I don't know
how far this has been corroborated by later research. Couturier 1962 "Le
Bouquetin des Alpes", I remember, enlarges on the "climbing apparatus"
of ibex/capra; this substrate adaptation issue (soft/hard/snow) of
artiodactyl ungual/third phalanges resurfaces on different spots
(Guthrie: Bison; Paaver: elk), I think it is a very interesting and
important topic.Erich Pucher also discriminates native
(mountain/climbing adaptation) and Roman cattle breeds by ungual
morphology/3rd phalanx. I send you copies of an old "animal track" field
guide, meant to discriminate between sheep/goat/"mufflon"(sic!).

all best wishes

Karl