Ruth,

I think Worcestershire recently carried out a ridge and furrow recording project so it might be worth asking them as well.

This is something I have been thinking about for some time in Warwickshire. Since I carried out the HLC project back in 2006 it was apparent that we have a number of different sets of records for ridge and furrow in the HER and like Nick one day I would like to sort it out in some sort of meaningful way.
So we have the following ridge and furrow related datasets:
The problem is that all of these are disparate datasets recording ridge and furrow in different ways using different sources of information.
So my grand plan is to try and put all of these together to create one single GIS layer showing all the ridge and furrow in the county recording the last time we knew it was extant and, where relevant, when it appears to have been levelled. It would be nice to record further detail such as direction, headlands etc but I think it would take too long.

In terms of what this means for recording ridge and furrow as Monuments then maybe we would use this GIS layer to define the Monuments as different areas of extant and levelled ridge and furrow and maybe separate them between pre 1880s parishes. As pointed out by others this would end up covering most of the county though.

The biggest problem I have is when we will do this, I have been thinking about it for over 10 years and not made much progress!

Ben

Ben Wallace
(Historic Environment Record Manager)
BA (EU) Hons, MA, MCIfA

Warwickshire Historic Environment Record
Archaeological Information and Advice (AIA),
Landscape, Ecology and Historic Environment
Heritage and Environment,
Community Services,
Communities

Warwickshire County Council

Phone: 01926 412734

Postal Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities, Warwickshire County Council, PO Box 43, Warwick CV34 4SX

Physical Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities, Warwickshire County Council, Barrack Street, Warwick CV34 4TH