From: Richard Mulholland <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 19 June 2019 07:35
To: Robert Entwistle <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Conservation in Kabul

Dear Robert,
Greetings from Kabul! Great to meet you at the ICON conference last week. I had to leave on the first day but I thought the first few talks were fascinating.

I wanted to follow up on your excellent suggestion of approaching museums and asking them to donate obsolete equipment. I have just been teaching the basics of environmental monitoring to the staff here at the National Gallery. It is hard going, but they are receptive. Low-tech solutions, such as using a recording thermohygrograph would be incredibly valuable to the people here. There is little in the way of IT equipment and even less technical knowledge. The environment is far from ideal - very dry and hot  - but also windows are left open regularly and dust ingress is a perennial problem.

If you can give me any leads on sourcing any out of use equipment, I have the contacts to ship it to Kabul, and it would certainly be a great start to taking care of the collections here.

Very best wishes,

Richard
This email, and any attachment, is solely for the intended recipient(s). If you have received it in error, you must not take any action based upon it, or forward, copy or show it to anyone; please notify the sender, then permanently delete it and any attachments. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Colchester Borough Council. Although the Council has taken reasonable precautions to ensure there are no viruses in this email, the Council cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from this email or attachments. The Council takes the management of personal data seriously and it does this in compliance with data protection legislation. For information about how personal data is used and stored, please go to www.colchester.gov.uk/privacy.

Anyone can join for free at any time by sending this message to [log in to unmask]:

Join GEM Firstname Secondname

Include only the text above, without email signature etc.   The title of the email doesn’t matter.   Send it to [log in to unmask]

If you are going on holiday or have an out of office message for some other reason, you can send this message:

Set GEM nomail

When you get back:

Set GEM mail

You don’t 'miss' any messages by doing this as they are all available via main GEM list web page as above.

Finally, if you need to change your email address, but stay subscribed to GEM, just send your new email address like this:

CHANGE GEM [log in to unmask]