Names and emails have been taken out.   If you’d like to find out more on any and can’t do it by searching for org. name I can forward an email from you to the person who posted it.
Martin
This message was sent to the GEM, DLNET and ARCHIVES-NRA lists.

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Martin Bazley
Sent: 31 May 2019 15:43
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Examples of the use of social media in supporting learning in museums or related sector

Hi, in preparation for a training day on digital learning in museums/related sectors, we are looking for examples of the use of social media in supporting learning.

‘Learning’ is interpreted quite widely, but ideally the social media should directly support learning in each case.

If you email me off list (forward your message to me) I will collate and share examples back to the list.

Martin

Martin Bazley
Digital heritage consultant
Martin Bazley & Associates
82B Melbury Gardens
West Wimbledon
SW20 0DN
0780 3580 727
www.martinbazley.com<http://www.martinbazley.com/>

Hello,

Broad indeed - High Life Highland Libraries deliver modules to secondary school pupils on digital media – fake news / impact of social media and suchlike.

I do think Mull Aquarium have a great news feed, as do ‘Dig It!’ - an Archaeology Scotland initiative.

Also where short videos are shared about subjects / objects – Highland Folk Museum are good at this, as are the High Life Highland Countryside Ranger service.

--

Also:  Sign Out Loud and similar, where people are learning BSL …

Hello,

You might want to contact artist and archivist Peter.
www.artistarchivist.co.uk<http://www.artistarchivist.co.uk>

We worked together on art projects together in the past. He has done a series of creative educational programs with artists, using archive resources and social media platforms. I know he is building a lot of new artwork in collaboration with midlands archives, might be of interest?

We use Facebook at Glenside Hospital Museum and Twitter @Glenside_museum to post an #GHMobjectofthemonth as part of learning about the history of mental health care and how to support well-being.

The object often sparks comments and conversation

Hi Martin,

Lots of our social media content is learning related. Our best examples are probably some of our Facebook Live videos.

You can browse all the videos here; https://www.facebook.com/pg/DudleyCanalTrust/videos

Specific examples include
- a video about some of our access policies; https://www.facebook.com/DudleyCanalTrust/videos/412530359320771/
- a video about geological time; https://www.facebook.com/DudleyCanalTrust/videos/568752486934682/
- demonstrating how to make a Christmas decoration; https://www.facebook.com/DudleyCanalTrust/videos/611076615978198/
- learning pirate Makaton words; https://www.facebook.com/DudleyCanalTrust/videos/1261715470637542/
- how to make woodland puppets; https://www.facebook.com/DudleyCanalTrust/videos/1928152043915413/
- an interview with an artist who was exhibiting in our Waterside Gallery; https://www.facebook.com/DudleyCanalTrust/videos/1948028775261073/

There's lots more, but that's a selection! I hope that covers the sort of thing you were looking for?

Dear Martin,

UCL has just developed a bespoke blogging platform called UCL Reflect, designed for use with outward-facing taught-course assessments (following UCL’s Connected Curriculum), but also useful for volunteers, non-academic staff and outreach work. The platform is a greatly enhanced version of WordPress. So far, at Special Collections and UCL Museums, it has been used for our BASc module ‘Object Lessons’, which involves students working in groups to create online exhibitions using the blogging software. We’ve also trialled it for volunteers working on a Mediaeval manuscripts conservation project (the volunteers were interested, but didn’t have enough time to set up and write blogs as well as do the conservation work), and to support a series of Special Collections events as part of the Slade School of Fine Art’s Small Press Project (the artists felt that possibilities for online blogs might not be flexible enough for the material and visual creativity they needed, but we hope to set up a Special Collections blog for the project, to include photos, videos and sound recordings on the project).

For more information on UCL’s use of blogging for student learning with heritage collections, contact Mina Sotiriou on [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
https://reflect.ucl.ac.uk/
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning/connected-curriculum-framework-research-based-education

[...]

Anyone can join for free at any time by sending this message to [log in to unmask]:

Join GEM Firstname Secondname

Include only the text above, without email signature etc.   The title of the email doesn’t matter.   Send it to [log in to unmask]

If you are going on holiday or have an out of office message for some other reason, you can send this message:

Set GEM nomail

When you get back:

Set GEM mail

You don’t 'miss' any messages by doing this as they are all available via main GEM list web page as above.

Finally, if you need to change your email address, but stay subscribed to GEM, just send your new email address like this:

CHANGE GEM [log in to unmask]