14th IFIP TC9 Human Choice and Computers Conference:

Human-Centric Computing
in a Data-Driven Society
Tokyo, Japan, 9th-11th September 2020
www.hcc14.net

Venue: Faculty of Global Informatics (iTL), Chuo University, Tokyo.
http://global.chuo-u.ac.jp/english/siteinfo/visit/ichigaya/

People First : One Can Hide the Data but Not the Truth

We are now living in a "data-driven society". Data is seen as the source of value in the new digital age and creates added value for growth. The development of IoT especially enables the collection of enormous amounts of data in a range of ways and a variety of forms which can spread around the world. Data utilization is likely to continue to expand and become more and more important across all sectors of society, as the spread and penetration of automation unfolds in the coming years.

All those engaged with trying to shape the technologies of today are in some sense oriented toward the future.  Is the future bright?  And if so who and what will make it so ñ and for whom?  As individuals and as team members vision and ingenuity are needed to help us realize a positive future for all.

In a data-driven society, all our choices, actions, locations, emotions, and behaviours are monitored, measured, interpretated, compared, and rated. While data is sometimes called the new oil, also this form of extraction comes with its challenges. In a data-driven society, existing inequalities can be deepened rather than solved (e.g., preventing policing, access to health insurance). While oil was a driver for economic growth, its negative effects on our planet and biosphere remained for long invisible. This time we should do better and investigate not only data as a driver of growth, but also as a driver of change we may not want to see.

The IT Industry is recognizing that a healthy employee work/life balance is essential for long-term enthusiasm and success. It is clear that a strong architectural plan with input from all stakeholders creates a vastly different, participative and delivery-focused working environment. The continued commitment to creating excellence and an atmosphere that embraces change should be the foundational characteristics of the IT Industry in the future. Treating people like they are human beings rather than automata to extract value from, is a concept that should be back in fashion.The digital traces one leaves behind each day reveal more than one knows, and such data is increasingly being used to aid organizations in swaying public opinion (cf. Cambridge Analytica and the Brexit vote / US Elections / India).As the scandals of Surveillance Capitalism (fake news makes more money) come face-to-face with true human development needs, and the ever-sharpening focus on the need for sustainable solutions, change is needed.  It is also paramount to remember, moreover, that our conceptions of being human and hence what†we understand within a particular cultural / historical context vary†significantly from culture to culture, whilst our notion of what we consider as being human is being increasingly shaped by the technologies that we use.

The coming together of Computing, Control and Communications is resulting in several unforeseen outcomes that are beginning to make ìBeing Humanî more and more of a challenge.   It is no more a trilogy of humanñcentric, technologyñcentric and data-centric practices both in Data Management and Software Engineering. Humanizing in this context entails Privacy, Safety, Security, Human Relationships and Personal Growth; it requires new governance models for new data economy ecosystems. This is proving to be both an answer and a challenge to the productivity paradox in IT and the goal of achieving a positive future.

Human : Machine :: Efficacy : Effectiveness

Data-driven innovations, in short, are increasingly understood as only being successful and fit for purpose if they are favorable for all humanity, and not simply designed to fulfill the priorities of monopolisation and the concentration of wealth in ever fewer hands. Research into these and related issues needs to straddle multiple areas of academic studies, following the principle that technology must be of benefit to humanity and fostering faith in humanity at large is at its foundation.

Since 1974, the Human Choice and Computers (HCC) conference series has consistently fostered innovative thinking about the interfaces between society and technology. †At this time, HCC14 in 2020 focuses on ìHuman-Centric Computing in a Data-Driven Societyî and welcomes inputs from members of academia and research, civic society, computing associations, industry, and the IT professions on the following (and related) themes:

* Developing New Technologies Using Data for Human Society.
* Ethical and Legal Issues for Data Analytics and Big Data.
* Social Accountability and Responsibility for Computing and Data Utilization.
* Data-work in relation to Gender and Diversity, Work, Educational and Daily Life.
* How data helps to make the world a better place - with a demonstrable focus on the better, and where better is not the same as making organisations richer and CEOs more powerful.
* Harnessing Information with Unconscious Bias
* Legal Systems for Criminal Offences and Abuse
* Ethical governance models for new data economy ecosystems
* How did we get here? Precedents, and lessons from the past.
* How culturally diverse interpretations / understandings of†life-work balance, of being human, and slow-tech and techno-feminist understandings of a data-driven society can help us shape a more human-centric computing environment
* Impact on International Security, Intelligence, and War.
* Environmental Impact of Big Data
* ICT for Development: Global Industries, Developing Economies, Sustainability.
* Analysis, design, construction, specification, development and testing of IT artefacts to defined deadlines and exacting standards
* Impact analysis of human endeavor and data analytics
* Security and privacy for big data and data analytics
* Using collaborative skills to work with team members in order to ensure reliability, availability and performance of applications
* Connectivity/digitalization affecting our working and/or private lives
* The view of human nature in a data-driven society

Paper Submission
The conference is open to attendees at all stages of career and education, whether you are at the start, middle or peak of your career, either as academics or practitioners. Submitted papers should be approximately 3,000-5,000 words in length.
Please return your paper, using the appropriate format, through Easychair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hcc14

Chairs:
Conference Chair: Taro Komukai
Program Committee Chairs: Taro Komukai, David Kreps, Gopal TV, Kaori Ishii
Organizing Committee Chair: Kaori Ishii
Main Editor: David Kreps
Co-Editors: Taro Komukai, Gopal TV, Kaori Ishii

Important Dates
January 31, 2020 ---------------- Submissions due
March 31, 2020 ------------------- Notification of acceptance/rejection
April 30, 2020 ---------------------- Submission of camera-ready papers
July 31, 2020 ----------------------- Deadline for early bird registration
September 9 - 11, 2020 -------- Conference dates.

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS CFP TO ALL INDIVIDUALS AND MAILING LISTS
YOU THINK MIGHT BE INTERESTED

May 2019	First Call for Papers