> On May 23, 2019, at 1:46 AM, Lars Albinsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> The third component was smells. An island where seals rest smells different than one with sea gulls

Context is vital for all sorts of navigation. One of my students asked me if Google knew he was Black. "If I type in 'seal,' will it show me the singer and show that guy [pointing] the animal?" We tried it and Google seemed to know. I typed in seal, it auto-completed and gave me Bobby Seal so I assured my student that Google knew that he was Black, the other guy was White, and I was a Black radical. (I tried again today. It tried to auto-complete "great seal," revealing that it thought I might be a mounted bird with arrows in its talons. Then it gave me the singer, closely followed by US Navy special operations.)

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program