A useful tool for dark oils and some photographic prints, velvet stipple paper being a prime candidate.
The flattening of the surface highlights can, as you say, render a rather flat looking image and colours tend to be a bit whack.
Have you tried creating a custom profile under the cross polarised light?
This will help bring the over saturated colours back to true.

It’s all about angles, and my understanding is if you have a long enough lens/studio you can mitigate specula highlights by avoiding the point they intersect with the lens.