Yvonne,

Arguably Ancestry is the 'worst of both worlds', in that it's not fully public (being behind a paywall) but it is public to those who subscribe. If you're happy for your data to be 'out in the open', I would look at WikiTree, which is aiming to build a shared public family tree without any limitations.

Best wishes,

Richard

On 16/04/2019 13:35, Sheila Perry wrote:
[log in to unmask]"> Hi Yvone,
There are quite a few existing family tree databases and you can also construct one on the Ancestry website if you don't want a freestanding one, though I feel there might be some privacy issues around storing this online
Personally I use Family Historian software to keep my own family research in, but I think Family Tree Maker is the most popular. I found a quick summary online of the features of 5 programs including the two already mentioned:
https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/best-genealogy-software/

Best wishes,
Sheila Perry
From: Museums Computer Group <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Yvonne Hellin-Hobbs <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 15 April 2019 16:24:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MCG] Family Tree database

Hi everyone, here at Bishopsteignton Heritage we are receiving a great deal of family history material, which cross references with lots of other family info. We want to construct a Family Tree type database that is easily searchable and displayed in a format that is easily accessible. Does anyone know of any such databases already in existence, to save us reinventing the wheel?
Thanks Yvonne

Bishopsteignton Heritage will not share your data with any third party. If you would like us to remove your details from this contact list, please inform us by replying to that effect and you will no longer receive updates from us.

To unsubscribe from the MCG list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=MCG&A=1

National Galleries of Scotland is a charity registered in Scotland (No. SC003728) Registered address: 73 Belford Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3DS. VAT No. GB100190482

www.nationalgalleries.org

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the addressee please inform the sender and delete the email from your system. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of National Galleries of Scotland. This message is subject to the General Data Protection Regulation and Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. No liability is accepted for any harm that may be caused to your systems or data by this message.

Tha Gailearaidhean Niseanta na h-Alba na charthannas a tha clraichte ann an Alba (ir. SC003728) Seladh clraichte: 73 Rathad Belford, Dn ideann, EH4 3DS. ir. VAT GB100190482

'S ann dhan luchd/neach-ainmichte a-mhin a tha an teachdaireachd seo. Mura tu an neach a tha ainmichte feuch is cuir fios chun neach a chuir am post-d agus dubh s bhon t-siostam agad e. Tha na beachdan sa phost-d a' buntainn don neach a sgrobh e a-mhin agus chan eil iad idir a rir bheachdan Ghailearaidhean Niseanta na h-Alba. Tha am post-d seo le mhlachd do Conn-riaghailt Coitcheann an Don Dta (CCDD) agus Achd Saorsa an Fhiosrachaidh (Alba) 2002. Chan eil ficheanas sam bith ga ghabhail airson dochann sam bith air ur siostaman no dta ri linn na teachdaireachd seo.

--
Richard Light