From: Museums Computer Group [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Mark Macleod [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 17 April 2019 11:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MCG] Maps and GPS and location finding

Hi everyone.

General information and recommendations if you have time.

We are creating digital tours for visitors to a small Scottish town 20 miles north of Edinburgh. Users will be accessing them on smartphones and tablets. Naturally they can be viewed at home but the optimum experience is while walking around the town.

Rather than building an App we are using existing Apps visitors are familiar with and creating content based on target audiences delivered through (likely) Wordpress sites.

One element we are wanting to better understand is map compatibility and GPS. How a map may be delivered to allow users the best experience. Can they be embedded into Wordpress site and function showing user location? Or do they need to be used through platform's App?

Has anyone any pointers, recommended reads or experiences where use of Google, Apple, Bing or What3Words maps was used to great enjoyment?

Any tips on suppliers or trips to avoid will be welcome.

Mark

Mark Macleod

Project Manager - Dunfermline Digital Tours

ON Fife Cultural Trust

Normal working hours Monday to Thursday. Emails are checked 10am and 4pm, if the matter is urgent better to call mobile number.

email: [log in to unmask]
Direct Line: 03451 55 55 55 ext 44 15 49 or VOIP 44 15 49
Mobile: 07969 912 982

Are you interested in becoming the Voice of Dunfermline and share your passion for the town with visitors? Get in touch!

If you work for a business in the area of Dunfermline and West Fife and are interested in getting involved in the digital tours, please book a FREE PLACE on the Business Workshop we have on 8th May at Glen Pavilion. Details and tickets are at Eventbrite website.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and should not be disclosed to any other party.

If you have received this email in error please notify your system manager and the sender of this message.

This email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses but no guarantee is given that this e-mail message and any attachments are free from viruses.

On with Fife reserves the right to monitor the content of all incoming and outgoing email.

ON with Fife Cultural Trust is part of Fife Cultural Trust, a Company limited by guarantee (incorporated in Scotland).

Company Number SC415704 / A Scottish Charity: charity number SC043442

Registered office, Iona House, John Smith Business Park, Grantsmuir Road, Kirkcaldy, Fife, KY2 6NA