Thanks for this David.

It’s very interesting. They’re great images. It sounds like a lot of fun too.

Strephon

From: AHFAP, for image professionals in the UK cultural heritage sector <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of David Tunnicliffe
Sent: 08 April 2019 19:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Scales and object numbers

Hi Strephon,

Thank you for that.  A very interesting perspective on it all - and it makes good sense.

From early 1984 through mid 1988 I was Resident Staff Photographer (unpaid - well my job was a Diplomat…) from The Egypt Exploration Society.  My work there was very different to that in Somalia.  The size and scale of many of the objects being photographed varied so much.  For smaller pieces we used a small information label, with numeric archival information.   ALL objects of such small size were photographed and never drawn.  So I guess it is horses for courses..

When I was required to photograph massive objects, such as the stature of Ramases II attached, a simple ranging pole was used to assist me in establishing point of focus.   [we are talking manual focus at this time and I was NOT about to climb out on the triple ladder to manually adjust sharp focus….]

Nikon F3HP with MD4 suspended above the colossus…

The Belt and Sward from above

The really hard part of such a photo shoot is NOT the photography but rather the number of tourists visiting the site.  During the day no less than 11 tour buses visited Mitra Hena.  We used binoculars focussed on the suspended camera to determine when all movement and vibration had stopped before I could release the shutter…  A fun but demanding day that’s for sure!

David

David Tunnicliffe,
AHFAP, FRGS, NPU

Imaging Professional and Educat
or

Fixing the shadows of the looking glass wall to capture the silence driven from our world…

Warning!! Handling a Nikon will seriously improve your image!

Tel:             +44(0) 1908-564 739

Cell:            +44(0) 7944 403 765

E-mail:
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

web:  www.davidtunnicliffephotography.co.uk

To unsubscribe from the AHFAP list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=AHFAP&A=1