OK, so this is quick as I'm in a day rammed with meetings, but no one is
actually saying anything negative about intersectionality, so can we just
stop insinuating that this is a 'you're for us or your against us'
situation. It's not.

The long and short of it is that I have been asked to speak about women
specifically, and that's what I'm going to do. That's my area of expertise,
that's what the client wants, that's what the client is going to get. This
is part of a 3 day long event that the client is holding, and I'm not au
fait with their other sessions so this is not something where I'm in a
position to just go off piste. It would not be professional, and nor would
it be helpful, for me to give them a talk they haven't asked for.

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with having some focus. My focus is women
in STEM, and I've been running Ada Lovelace Day for ten years now, with
what I consider to be a very healthy track record on intersectionality. The
fact that I am in this instance focusing exclusively on gender, and thus
asking for people's experiences on trying to expand the number of women
that they talk to and cover, says absolutely nothing about my wider corpus
of work.

To be honest, I don't think it's very constructive to be chastising people
for having focus, and it's even less constructive to be making assumptions
about their wider body of work.

I thought that this list would be a rich source of additional insights that
I could use to make my talk even better. I wasn't expecting to get a
metaphorical slapping for not meeting a complete stranger's arbitrary
standards for what they personally consider to be appropriate diversity
work.

Suw

----

Web: FindingAda.com <http://findingada.com/>
Twitter: @findingada <http://twitter.com/findingada>
Facebook: AdaLovelaceDay <http://facebook.com/AdaLovelaceDay/>

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 at 12:03, Rhys Archer <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I understand that perhaps this can be a difficult topic to navigate and
> understand all the responses given – however in my experience of running
> Women of Science I have come to realise that when talking about gender
> gaps, the reality is that if you talk about gender without talking about
> intersectionality then what you are really talking is white, able bodied,
> neurotypical, middle class, cis – straight, women. Of course, if that is
> what is asked then perhaps it may not be within your remit to speak
> otherwise, but in my opinion we should all make an effort to identify what
> it is we are talking about and if it is in the aim of equality then to make
> sure we are doing just that. But I also we are all trying to achieve
> equality together, so we should show kindness to others that ask for
> direction with such.
>

> Best,
>
> Rhys
>

> Rhys Archer| School of Materials |D1 James Lighthill Building | Northwest
> Composites Centre | The University of Manchester
> e: *[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> *
> |@PhDArcher

psci-com how-to:
Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]