From : [log in to unmask]
Date : 17/03/2019 - 23:22 (GMT)
To : [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject : Re: Architectural developments for 5G?

Mostly from an algorithm-land perspective, we’ve tried to approach the issues raised by John and Ning in a number of papers:

- from a resource allocation angle based on markets, auctions and spot prices in [1],
- trying to emulate past works on caching (static) content to caching active instances of (mobile) functions in [2].

Our rough (and rather expected) conclusion is that it’s relatively easy to find ways to optimise performance (from a resource allocation point of view) based on metrics, but it’s quite challenging to find/set these metrics :) E.g., best-effort won’t work for autonomous vehicles, but prioritising based on market approaches will be exclusive to some applications.

The architectural and security issues that Jon raised are also not easy to tackle. Some thoughts (and more papers) on migrating named functions here: https://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/~ipsaras/ddec.html

Any feedback very welcome!

Cheers,
Yiannis.