This feels like a *very* silly question, but I'm wondering whether there
was a second-order convent as well as the obvious male one at Santa Croce?
My reason for asking (as an art-historian) is that there seem to be rather
a lot of nuns, and women in general, depicted in Giovanni da Milano's
paintings in the sacristy chapel (the Rinuccini Chapel).

all best

Laura
Dr. Laura Jacobus
Senior Lecturer in History of Art