Shoule we really rely on ‘new discoveries … made by people having non-sense
perceptible experiences, "intuitions"’ as suggested by Wouter, or is this a
regressive distraction for EBM?

Wouter is right to question over-reliance on empirical EBM, but I want to
argue that to follow Nagel’s thinking as a way of lending weight to
something called intuition is dangerous and risks taking us back to pre-EBM
idiosyncratic eminence led medicine.

I do agree something like intuition is important and can improve with
personal experience (by which I just mean, as a clinician, an ability to
always remain aware of the dangers of over-dependence on a heuristic (rule
of thmb) approach to decision making and to be able to question scenarios
for their satisficing potential and to notice when something doesn’t quite
fit)(for a discussion see Dempsey & Bekker, 2002).

Nagel (and Steiner’s) philosophys are interesting but I suggest, dangerous
for health, they give permission for people to not only question the limits
of empirical EBM (a good thing) but also, crucially, gives people
permission to think that their thoughts and opinions are just as good as
empirical evidence for guiding practice, and example of what is called
radical empiricism (or realism)( a bad thing).

Before, in this thread, 16th Jan, Allen Shaughnessy quoted from my book
(forgive the plug J)(Dempsey, 2018):

"Unlike the logical empiricism of EBM, with radical empiricism the subject
cannot get to know the world any better by thinking, rationalizing, or
calculating on the basis of experiments." (p. 25) … "The radical aspect of
radical empiricism is the assumption that *subjective* thought itself,
including elite opinion, is an empirical 'experience', or 'fact', and
therefore has the same impact on empirical scientific conclusions as
*objective* experimental truth." (p 27).

Nagel, cited by Wouter, *i*n his philosophy of panpsychism *, **applies the
same radical empiricism* promoted by the pragmatist William James (Thomas,
2018).

This is a tempting, but I suggest, misguided solution to EBM’s empirical
excesses.  This brand of post-Cartesian way-of-knowing what is good
practice opens the door to evidence-free practice.   It implies that we
have the power to make the unknowable knowable (such as the specificity of
the representation of the borderline between the normal and the
pathological as in anticipatory medicine).

And, I suggest also that the turn to panpsychism and ‘intuition’ functions
as a distraction.   The emphasis on the search for *more* knowledge stops
us questioning the underlying fundamental social reality of a neoliberal
capitalist pragmatism that relentlessly uses empirical EBM to produce new
knowledge and interventions decided by interest in limited outcomes (such
as, say cancer deaths) and not in collateral harms (such as
over-diagnosis).

Dempsey, O. (2018). *Anticipation and Medicine: A Critical Analysis of the
Science, Praxis and Perversion of Evidence Based Healthcare*. Abingdon, UK:
Routledge.

Dempsey, O., & Bekker, H. (2002). "Heads I win, tails you lose" -
Qualitative study of GPs' decisions about emergency hospital referrals. *Family
Practice, 19*, 611-616.

Thomas, A. (2018). Intelligibility all the way down: interpreting Nagel's *Mind
and Cosmos*. *Klesis Revue Philosophique, 41*, 1-29.

 Owen

--
New Book by Owen Dempsey:
Anticipation and Medicine: A Critical Analysis of the Science, Praxis and
Perversion of Evidence Based Healthcare
<https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/9781351374866>

Blog:
https://myownprivatemedicine.com/