New issue is now available online!

University of Toronto Law Journal Volume 69, No. 2, Spring 2019

UTLJ Online: http://bit.ly/utlj692

Articles

Same-Sex Marriage Beyond Charter Dialogue: Charter Cases and Contestation
Within Government

Brenda Cossman

In this article, I argue that the dialogue debate has obscured a much richer
story that can be told about Halpern v Canada, same-sex marriage, and the
complex relationship between courts and legislatures. The federal government
was deeply divided on same-sex marriage. Parliament, the Liberal government,
the federal Cabinet, and the liberal caucus were all deeply divided. From
the outside, it may have appeared as a 'courts versus government' battle,
with the federal government defending the opposite-sex definition of
marriage right up until the Ontario Court of Appeal struck it down as
unconstitutional in Halpern. But a closer look shows that the federal
government's about-face after Halpern had been in the making for years, with
supporters trying to use court decisions as well as changing public opinion
to wedge open the marriage issue. The same-sex marriage case study can be
retold as a story not of dialogue between courts and Parliament but, rather,
as a contestation within government. I argue that this story - of conflict
and contestation within government and the use of court decisions by
proponents of same-sex marriage - can provide a richer account of the
evolution of the federal government and the adoption of the Civil Marriage
Act.

Read it at UTLJ online >>>  <http://bit.ly/utlj692a> http://bit.ly/utlj692a

The Hydraulics of Constitutional Claims: Multiplicity of Actors in
Constitutional Interpretation

Athanasios Psygkas

Who makes constitutional claims? This article argues that on both sides of
the Atlantic a multiplicity of constitutional actors outside the courts
participate in the elaboration of constitutional principles. I map out these
constitutional actors by using as a case study the legal recognition of
same-sex marriage in the United States, Spain, the United Kingdom, and
Ireland. In all four country cases, there are common functional demands for
democratic involvement in shaping constitutional meaning. Even though these
demands may take various institutional and procedural forms owing to diverse
political, institutional, and cultural contexts, I argue that the same
overarching hydraulics effect is at play across jurisdictions. When social
movements are shut out of one forum, they channel their constitutional
claims through different institutional avenues. The four systems represent
distinctive models of formal recognition of same-sex marriage, with
different actors taking the lead and appearing to have the final say on this
contested issue. However, I explain that in all four cases we can detect the
voices of multiple actors, including, notably, the people themselves, in a
process of legal contestation around the interpretation of fundamental
constitutional principles. These voices can take different forms, and the
article proposes institutional, historical, political, and cultural factors
that may account for this. Thus, the article tells a story of legal
development arising from inclusive interpretive communities in the context
of a democratic constitutional theory. This framework facilitates dynamic
constitutional interpretation that reflects evolving political and social
demands instead of top-down delivery of constitutional meaning.

Read it at UTLJ online >>> http://bit.ly/utlj692b

Constructing the Global Constitutional Canon: Between Authority and
Criticism

Michaela Hailbronner

The future of global law seems currently in doubt. Despite this development,
and indeed partly because of it, comparative constitutional law and human
rights are blossoming as academic disciplines. This makes it a good moment
to ask if global constitutional law (by which I mean to refer both to
comparative constitutional law and international human rights law) has a
canon and whether it needs one. I argue that we do not as yet have much in
the way of a canon but that we need one or, at least, a debate about one. I
begin by offering a first and tentative assessment of the state of the
debate and then discuss in more detail what type of canon might fit global
constitutional law. I reject the more traditional, religious conception of a
canon as an assembly of normatively authoritative texts as incompatible with
comparative law. I argue instead that a canon of global constitutional law
should fulfil three key functions: (a) serving as a disciplinary platform
establishing the foundations of a shared discourse among comparative
constitutionalists and human rights lawyers; (b) encouraging self-reflection
by making room for different voices and criticism as well as giving us a
sense of the historical development of our fields; and (c) supporting the
normative agenda of human rights and democratic constitutionalism. From
this, I draw four factors relevant to the canonical status of individual
judicial decisions in global constitutional law. Finally, I examine the
famous US decision Obergefell v Hodges as a candidate for a global canon as
compared to other decisions on same-sex marriage, thus applying my previous
arguments to a concrete case.

Read it at UTLJ online >>> http://bit.ly/utlj692c

Review Essay

How Institutions Structure Judicial Behaviour: An Analysis of Alarie and
Green's Commitment and Cooperation on High Courts: A Cross-Country
Examination of Institutional Constraints on Judges

Lee Epstein

No theory of judicial behaviour ignores institutions, but, all too often,
their role in structuring judges' choices goes assumed rather than directly
evaluated. For this reason alone, we should applaud Benjamin Alarie and
Andrew J. Green. Not only do they take institutions seriously; they attempt
cross-national assessments of their effect on judging. This is their book's
overarching contribution, but there are many others along the way - so many
that Commitment and Cooperation on High Courts is bound to take its place
among the classics in the ever-growing field of judicial behaviour. My aim
is to bring Alarie and Green's contributions into relief by highlighting
their key arguments and empirical results. Along the way, I integrate some
of the existing literature if only to show where and how the authors advance
our understanding of judging. All of this amounts to Parts I and II. But a
simple summary of Commitment and Cooperation will not suffice because Alarie
and Green invite the reader to think about extensions. In that spirit, Part
III offers some suggestions for forward movement.

Read it at UTLJ online >>> http://bit.ly/utlj692d

Founded in 1935, UTLJ is the oldest university law journal in Canada. UTLJ
publishes the work of internationally known scholars, not only in law but
also in a broad range of disciplines relating to law, such as economics,
political science, philosophy, sociology, and history. UTLJ is available in
print and online.

For more information about the University of Toronto Law Journal or for
submissions information, please contact:

University of Toronto Press - Journals Division

5201 Dufferin St., Toronto, ON, Canada M3H 5T8

Tel: (416) 667-7810 Fax: (416) 667-7881

Fax Toll Free in North America 1-800-221-9985

 <http://utpjournals.press/utlj> http://utpjournals.press/utlj