KIND REMINDER:

** Centre for Transport Studies (CTS) Seminar Series
** Routing (Passengers and Vehicles) in Transport Networks
** Prof. Francesco Corman (ETH Zurich, Switzerland)
** Date and time: 4 March 2019 @16:00
** Location: Room 102A, Chadwick Building, UCL Bloomsbury Campus, Gower St, London, WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
** Register here: https://cts-seminars-proffrancescocorman.eventbrite.co.uk
Abstract:
A key feature of public transport is being shared with others, with paths from origin to destination going through some existing infrastructure/lines/services offered.
This talk reviews the current state of the art in routing algorithm for railway vehicles, especially in the scope of real time traffic management. There, resources to use for routing have very strong dynamic availability, i.e. the scheduling and routing problem are deeply interconnected. We present an overview of the recent developments for this problem.
We also study the complementary problem of routing passengers over transport services, and the impact that considering them might have in the scheduling and routing of vehicles. In fact, the type of information and advice given to passengers interacts with the problem of managing trains over tracks and station resources, leaving much space for further research.
Biography:
Prof. Francesco Corman holds the chair of Transport Systems at the Institute of Transport Planning and Systems, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH Zurich. He has a PhD in Transport Sciences from TUDelft, the Netherlands, on operations research techniques for real-time railway traffic control, and academic experience at KU Leuven, Belgium and TUDelft as researcher in transportation and logistics. Main research interests are in the application of quantitative methods and operations research to transport sciences, especially on public transport operations.
CHECK OUR FUTURE EVENTS: https://cts-seminars.eventbrite.co.uk
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/cts_ucl