From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Miguel Ángel Rivas Fernández <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 14 February 2019 08:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SPM] First level analysis: Contrast in design matrix

Dear all,

I am doing the first level analysis in a fMRI event-related design using a memory task with two conditions. I performed a t-test in order to compare both conditions but I would like to know how is the brain activation within each condition excluding the variance explained by other conditions and also by movement (including the rp_.txt files as regressors in the model).

Could I include in the design matrix the fixation cross like a "baseline condition"?  Which of the following options would be correct?

OPTION 1. With Fixation: Three conditions in design matrix: Condition A, B, Fixation

Condition A > Condition B        design matrix:  1 -1  0

Condition B > Condition A       design matrix:  -1 1  0

Condition A > Fixation             design matrix:   1 0 -1

Condition B > Fixation             design matrix:   0 1 -1

OPTION 2. Without Fixation: Two conditions in the design matrix: Condition A, B

Condition A > Condition B        design matrix:  1 -1

Condition B > Condition A       design matrix:  -1 1

Condition A                              design matrix:   1 0

Condition B                             design matrix:   0 1

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Miguel Ángel Rivas Fernández