Dear Helen,

The articles referred to below are all very accessible. They relate in various ways to issues affecting how students flourish (or not) in higher education, and that you may wish academics to think about in their academic practice and professional development:

-          Higher education norms and values – which may be taken for granted, but their epistemological foundations can be obscure or appear alien for students (Mann, 2001; Haggis, 2006);

-          Disciplinary reading and writing: the knowledge, skills and practices involved are complex but many academics’ knowledge of them remains tacit rather than explicit, and so remain ‘indeterminate and opaque’ for students (Gourlay, 2009:181; see also Haggis, 2003);

-          Students’ need to feel a sense of belonging and community, and for this to be supported in the classroom (e.g. Tinto, 2003);

-          Students’ psychological needs for competence, autonomy and relatedness (Ryan and Deci, 2000; Niemiec and Ryan, 2009)

All of these issues are more fully discussed and the references can be found in my article ‘Engagement in Higher Education. Who’s not engaging?’ (see link below), which I also hope you and your academics might find interesting.

Best wishes,

James

James Wilkinson  NTF  SFHEA

Learning and Teaching Advisor, Learning Development

Queen Mary University of London

Mile End Road

London

E1 4NS