From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Virna Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 11:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Summative peer assessment in PGCAP - your experiences please

Hello

on our PGCert, we use peer assessment for the presentation which is one element of the summative.
It worked well on the units with holistic assessment where the presentation was on a pass/fail basis. No problem there.
However, where I got 'stuck' was the unit with weighted elements, with graded presentations. But that is not because of the difficulty students may have in grading each others' work per se. The problem was due to the fact that I wanted to use student generated assessment criteria (the class set the standards a couple of weeks before the presentations) for any peer assessment. I felt this would give students more 'real' agency, otherwise peer assessment tends to be symbolical and perhaps only useful to better understand the given criteria (which is not a bad thing of course).
But to actually assign a grade to the presentation there needed to be a full grading scale A-F and there was no way we would have the time to create that, for 6 criteria... or even an overall one, this is a delicate task even for experienced academics.

I went to the SHIFT conference at Greenwihc University last month, and David Watson gave a presentation about student generated assessment criteria, but in the end they used tutor generated rubrics for the grading part of it. The students set the criteria, but the actual grading was done with other pre-existing metrics.

I would be really interested to hear what others actually do. Does anyone carry out peer assessment with student generated assessment criteria, including student generated grading scales? I have a feeling that most peer assessment is done for pass/fail assessed components only. But, where a grade is required, a hybrid system is used (peer and tutor criteria) or the students do not decide the grade, they only provide feedback.

Best
Virna