Dear Mersenners,

The British Library is hosting an event on John Maynard Smith and William D. Hamilton on Friday, 15 March 2019. From the 1960s onward, these two evolutionary biologists were involved in a priority conflict over who first came up with the idea of inclusive fitness or kin selection.

As part of British Science Week, we'll bring the dispute to live with dramatic readings of the letters exchanged between the two as well as their colleague George Price. Next to the readings by actor Neal Craig, I will explain the origins of the dispute, piecing together correspondence and articles that show how the timeline to the controversy developed.

All are very welcome. The event starts at 7pm in the Library's Knowledge Centre.

For more information and tickets, please see https://www.bl.uk/events/dear-john-the-kin-selection-controversy-2019

Best wishes and hope to see some of you there,
Helen