Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2019 04:05:30
This message was forwarded through MEDSOCNEWS.
If you wish to make an announcement or publicise
an event then please send the text to:
You can follow the BSA MedSoc Group on @BSAMedsoc
You can follow the BSA funded blog on
health in times of austerity on @Cost_ofLiving

Greetings from New Zealand.

Is it appropriate to use the medsoc list for shameless self-promotion?  I have a book coming out in about a week’s time that members may be interested in checking out.  It’s called “Diagnosis:  Truths and Tales”, and it’s available at https://utorontopress.com/ca/diagnosis-4 .  Here, I build on my sociology of diagnosis work to see how the diagnostic moment is “told” – what are the narratives of the serious diagnosis, and how do they convey a transformative power (which is not without alternatives)?  I have dabbled with fiction and film, history and more.  I’d love to hear from the medical sociology section on what they think about this approach and the questions it raises.

If it’s not appropriate to post that, I understand.

Nga mihi nui (that means “many thanks” in Mâori).

Annemarie

Prof Annemarie Jutel, RN, BPhEd(Hons) PhD
School of Health|Te Kura Tâtai Hauora
Graduate School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health|Te Kura Tapuhi Hauora
Victoria University of Wellington|Te Whare Wânanga o Te Űpoko o te Ika a Mâui
Wellington, New Zealand|Te Whanganui-a-Tara, Aotearoa
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | tel: +64-4-463-6140 | mobile: +64-21-513-305

Author :
Diagnosis :  Truths and Tales<https://utorontopress.com/ca/diagnosis-4>
Putting a Name to It: Diagnosis in Contemporary Society<https://jhupbooks.press.jhu.edu/content/putting-name-it>
https://www.facebook.com/DiagnosisInContemporarySociety

<https://jhupbooks.press.jhu.edu/content/social-issues-diagnosis>

1. For general enquires or problems with the list or to CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS send a message to:
2. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example,
send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set medsocnews nomail
3. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
set medsocnews mail
4. To leave MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
leave medsocnews
5. To join or subscribe to MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
SUBSCRIBE medsocnews firstname lastname
6. Further information about the medsocnews discussion list (including
list archive and how to subscribe to or leave the list) can be found
at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medsocnews.html