Hi all

I'm sure many here work in organisations which have 'official' Twitter accounts but also more informally run team or project accounts. I wondered if anyone had tried comparing them?

Last night I took a list of 19 Kew science-related accounts[1] and using two brilliant free Twitter data extraction tools based on Google Sheets[2] managed to cobble together some figures which showed:

- looking at a combined, de-duplicated list of followers across the accounts, 61% of these Twitter users *do not* follow the 'official' @KewScience account

- in terms of retweets, likes and mentions, somewhere between 60-70% of the activity is on the team/project accounts

- for deeper level of 'engagement' such as replies to and from users and our retweets of other people's content (i.e. not just broadcasting) around 90% of the activity was on the team/project accounts

Screengrab of summary data attached (sorry, whilst it's all publicly accessible data I can't really share the full sheet).

Note this isn't meant to be a criticism of the official account, just to illustrate that the team/project accounts have a different and valuable role to play (not least in our case by trebling the overall audience).

It's quite an easily repeatable set-up, so if anyone wanted to give it a whirl I'm happy to try to help.

Best, James

[1] https://twitter.com/jamesinealing/lists/kew-science-teams/members (it's 20 there, but I excluded @GrowWildUK as it's a very different style of project but had a massive effect on the comparison figures)

---
James Morley

To unsubscribe from the MCG list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=MCG&A=1