RICS Geo evening lectures winter 2018-19 - Wed 27th Feb - Marine lecture 17.30 for 18.00, RICS HQ

Dear Colleagues

After very well attended, lively and popular lectures from William Priest - Geospatial Commission (Oct 2018) and Clarissa Augustinus (GLTN, UN Habitat Nov 2018), and the always packed out UK Geo Forum lecture, we now move onto the Feb joint (Hydrographic Society & RICS) marine/hydrographic lecture.

Many of you will have also noted the wonderful news that Digital Construction Week (DCW) and GeoBusiness (Diversified) have joined forces, GeoBusiness has also joined forces with Geodata completing the triumvirate of GIS, Survey, Construction - GeoBusiness 21st - 22nd May 2019 https://www.geobusinessshow.com/ & DCW 16th - 19th Oct 2019 https://www.digitalconstructionweek.com/

Survey Ireland will be held on Wed 08th May https://www.scsi.ie/calendar/event/view?id=503 in Dunboyne castle (a quick taxi from Dublin airport), this event is always excellent and is well worth a visit.

Wed 27th Feb 2019 - marine/hydrographic joint lecture (Hydrographic Society & RICS) - Geophysics Through the Transition Zone - Tim Nixon, Senior geophysicist at Fugro, will discuss the use of geophysics to close the data gap between tried and tested offshore geophysical data acquisition methods and the sometimes-murky world of engineering scale land geophysics.

I would advise a quick ecomms to Linda Powell [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> to secure a place, delegates can also use EventBrite to book a place https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/geophysical-operations-in-the-transition-zone-tickets-46082191074

All lectures will be held at RICS HQ Westminster, 17.30 for 18.00 start and are free and open to all. The 2018-19 session is particularly strong on collaborative lectures and, underlining the global nature of our profession in our RICS 150th year, we warmly welcome our colleagues from other organisations and all from our geospatial, offshore and land professions. Do feel free to pass on the details to interested colleagues, students and trainees. Details can also be found @ https://www.rics.org/uk/news-insight/latest-news/news-opinion/geomatics-evening-lecture-series-winter-201819/

Reports on the previous lectures in the 2018/19 series can be found within the pages of Geomatics World https://www.geomatics-world.co.uk/

Our Colleagues in Scotland have arranged joint lectures with ICES, to be held at Glasgow University. Details below.

The University of Glasgow is pleased to continue hosting the Scottish CICES/RICS evening CPD series.
2)      Monday, 25th February 2019: Coordinate systems for construction and infrastructure projects
This talk will cover the various different types of coordinate reference system that may be encountered in construction and infrastructure projects (including railways, highways and pipelines). These will include site grids, the National Grid, tailored projected systems, re-scaled systems and SnakeGrid. The systems will be described and their merits and demerits compared for various practical applications, and methods for transforming between them will be described.
Speaker        :             Dr Jonathan Iliffe, Dept. of Civil, Environmental and
                                      Geomatic Engineering, UCL, London
Venue: University of Glasgow (East Quadrangle Lecture Theatre)
Time: 6.00pm for 6.30pm start

AGI held their excellent GeoCom event on 08th Nov 2018, a full report can be sourced @ https://placetech.net/analysis/geocom-location-data-will-boost-productivity-in-land-use/

CICES has a full programme of CPD events available and RICS is collaborating on several including events in Scotland https://www.cices.org/news/events/the-scottish-spatial-data-hub-where-all-the-survey-data-ends-up/

Our colleagues at the UK Hydrographic Society have an impressive range of CPD events https://www.ths.org.uk/event.asp including a series of winter South West regional lectures. Details TBC.

And to finish, the big geospatial event for 2019 is already coming together. GeoBusiness 2019 https://www.geobusinessshow.com/ 21st - 22nd May 2019 is gaining even more momentum than usual, now into its 6th year and our burgeoning geospatial industries have a real showcase event, exhibition and social to be proud of. Do pencil the dates into your diary.

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure. It is strictly prohibited to disseminate, distribute or copy this communication if you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message. If you have received this communication in error, please accept our apology and delete all copies. Please telephone the sender on the above number, +44 (0)247 686 8555, or email them by return. Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Registered office: RICS, Parliament Square, London SW1P 3AD Registered Company no. 000487 VAT No. GB 584940013 This email message has been scanned for malware by Exchange Online Protection