Dear zooarchers

Apologies for cross-posting.

We are delighted that our session *Food economy and foodways of Jews and
Muslims through the ages – archaeological insights *(abstract below) has
been accepted for the 25th EAA in Bern (4th-7th September 2019).

Abstracts of no more than 300 words for presentations or posters should be
submitted via the conference website https://www.e-a-a.org/EAA2019 by the
deadline of *14 February 2019*.

Please do get in touch with any of us if you have any queries.

Food economy and foodways of religious communities are rarely in the main
focus of research in archaeology and zooarchaeology. The main reasons
behind this are simple: the paucity of the available archaeological data,
and the difficulty of attributing archaeological record to particular
religious groups. These problems have been addressed by a number of case
studies published in recent years, which showed the potential of
archaeology in identifying the presence of Jews and Muslims in the past,
and have contributed to a growing body of evidence. These studies, however,
have mostly been site-specific, and little attention has been placed on
large-scale analysis of development and changes in the foodways of Jews and
Muslims. This session aims to address this issue, bringing together and
summarising research from a wide array of archaeological contexts.

We welcome contributions focusing on food economy and foodways within two
main themes. The first one is concerned with food-related interactions
between Jews and Muslims or with their Christian neighbours. This may
include the analysis of the quality of animals (size, sex, and age) or meat
(specific cuts) traded between local religious majorities and minorities,
which may provide information on the disproportion of power and the
relationship of these groups. The second theme concerns regional changes,
developments, and differences in foodways within Jewish and Muslim
communities. This includes local status and wealth of particular Jewish or
Muslim households, evolution of kosher and halal foodways, and local
food-related traditions in different countries based on species and body
part representation, butchery patterns, supported by material culture and
literary sources.

The session is open to papers using animal remains and/or material culture
from Jewish and Muslim archaeological sites of domestic nature from
different chronological periods.

Organisers:

Mik Lisowski (UK)

Idoia Grau-Sologestoa (Switzerland)

Marta Moreno-García (Spain)

Abra Spiciarich (Israel)

Jan Bakker (Netherlands)

Veronica Aniceti (UK)

*Mik Lisowski*

PhD Candidate

Department of Archaeology

University of Sheffield

Minalloy House

10-16 Regent Street

Sheffield S1 3NJ, UK

Other address: [log in to unmask]

My academic homepage
<http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/people/phds/mikolaj-lisowski>

My profiles: Academia.edu <https://sheffield.academia.edu/MikLisowski>,
ResearchGate <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mikolaj_Lisowski>

Find out about our Zooarchaeology Short Course
<http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/research/zooarchaeology-lab/short-course>
Find out about our MSc in Osteoarchaeology
<https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/courses/arts/archaeology/osteoarchaeology-msc>
 programme

Postgraduate ZooArchaeology Forum 2017 <https://pzaf2017.wordpress.com/>

<https://pzaf2017.wordpress.com/>