Dear Matthew and colleagues,

I share your opinion that otoliths are particulary unstable.

Here is a link to a paper presented in last Fish research working group
in Alghero.
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=12V8SvABO0QRTCRZrcd-uXsIx7lU0CPe7> It
is a about a 15th-16th c burial pit where 116 whole haddocks still with
their skin that have been burried. In supplementary material in the end
of the document the table presents a sample with the counts of skeletal
parts. MNE for otoliths is 12 whereas basioccipital =35 pterotic=32
supraoccipital=30. Otoloiths could only have dissolved as the pit had
been bulk sampled and sieved to 1mm mesh. So that means that only 1/3rd
of the sturdy otoliths of this medium sized Gadidae (average total
length based on 90 individuals of TL=49cm ) have survived the short
burial period within an urban context where preservation is good !

This paper will not be published in conference proceedings so if anyone
has suggestions on a journal where it would be suitable to publish
please let me know off-list.

Best regards,

Tarek

Le 06/01/2019 à 04:41, Matthew Campbell a écrit :

> Dear colleagues
>
> Ngā Mihi o te Tau Hou / Happy New Year
>
> Do any of you know anything about the taphonomy of otoliths? I have
> observed that they survive very well in some sites and not at all in
> others, but I can’t see any reason for this.
>
> If anyone can shine any light on this topic or point me to any
> references I would be grateful (searches on Google Scholar and
> ResearchGate didn’t help)
>
> Mat
>
> ****************************
>
> Matthew Campbell
> CFG Heritage Ltd
> 132 Symonds St
> Auckland 1010
>
> phone: (+64) 09 309 2426
> mobile: (+64) 021 437 555
> email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> web: www.cfgheritage.com <http://www.cfgheritage.com/>

Tarek Oueslati
Centre national de la recherche scientifique, INSHS
HALMA UMR8164 CNRS University of Lille
BP 60149
59653 Villeneuve d’Ascq
https://pro.univ-lille.fr/tarek-oueslati/