Hello, Mat.

Check out Vertebrate Taphonomy, by R. Lee Lyman (Cambridge University Press, 1994).  There's a chapter where he specifically discusses fish remains and pages 435-437 (in the paperback copy I have) include discussions, and references, on otoliths, particularly in their role in the decomposition of fish.  Although I think this chapter is more about the fish remains as a whole, the references he cites might give you some insight on the taphonomy of otoliths themselves.  Overall, he writes about a variety of subjects (both quantitative and qualitative) within zooarchaeology and if you have questions I'm sure he would be more than willing to talk to you.  He works in the Anthropology Department at the University of Missouri.

Martin