Dear all,

apologies for cross-posting. I am joining other colleagues on this list in reminding you of the 20th January deadline for the RC21 conference. We welcome ECRs and contributions from practitioners working on these themes- please see below.

RC21 2019, Delhi, September 18-21, 2019

P4: Cities for girls, boys, and everyone else

This session is an invitation to revisit the popular slogan “cities for people, not for profit” with a specific focus on urban youth. Rather than speaking about youth generally, however, we propose to explore the gender aspects of young people’s access to the city and their sense of belonging. We model our approach on feminist interventions into the Lefebvrian notion of the right to the city (Fenster, 2005; Vacchelli and Kofman, 2018), which propose to understand everyday life as “the mediator of rights underpinning the usage of urban space to its fullest extent” (Beebeejaun, 2017: 327) and insist on taking into the account how said rights are shaped by “patriarchal power relations, which are ethnic, cultural and gender-related” (Fenster, 2005: 217). With this session we aim at overcoming the polarity between viewing urban space as necessarily disabling or enabling for various genders (Bondi and Rose 2003) and seek to draw attention to the complex dynamics in which urban belonging is negotiated through daily practices (Lisiak 2018).

The papers featured in the session will discuss the intersections of gender, sexuality, race, class, age, and citizenship in the processes of minoritization of the urban youth. Recognizing that with its focus on urban girlhood or urban boyhood research reproduces gender binaries and thus further silences the experiences of non-binary urbanites, we invite contributions that critically propose a revision of the dominant strands of research on urban youth, overcoming heteronormativity and thus rendering our understanding of urban social worlds more complex and inclusive.

We invite contributions from urban sociology, geography, migration studies, criminology, gender studies, queer studies, cultural studies, and other related fields. We encourage approaches engaging with the intersections of class, race, gender, sexuality, migration status, citizenship, etc. and welcome papers that make use of non-conventional research approaches to address the dynamics of belonging in cities across the world.

We encourage contributions that engage with one or more of the following topics:

If you are interested in joining this panel, please email your 300-word abstract and a short bio to the panel convenors Elena Vacchelli ([log in to unmask]) and Agata Lisiak ([log in to unmask]) copying in [log in to unmask] by 20 January 2019.  You will receive notification of selected abstracts on 20th February 2019.

For more details about the conference, please visit the conference website at https://rc21delhi2019.com/

You can also read the detailed instructions for abstract submission here: https://rc21delhi2019.com/index.php/call-for-abstracts/

Thank you for your attention!

Elena

Dr Elena Vacchelli

University of Greenwich

https://www.gre.ac.uk/people/rep/fach/elena-vacchelli

Telephone: +44 (0)20 8331 8951 | E-mail: [log in to unmask]

University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by guarantee, registered in England (reg. no. 986729). Registered office: Old Royal Naval College, Park Row, Greenwich, London SE10 9LS. _______________________________________________________ [log in to unmask] An urban geography discussion and announcement forum List Archives: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/URB-GEOG-FORUM Maintained by: RGS-IBG Urban Geography Research Group UGRG Home Page: http://www.urban-geography.org.uk