From: John Ashburner <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2019 4:06 PM
To: Stewart, Peter
Cc: SPM
Subject: [External] Re: [SPM] DARTEL experts: can you create a set of templates from a final template by smoothing?

Be careful with hand editing templates built by Dartel.  Dartel alignment is driven by the gradients of the logarithms of the values in the templates.  Hand editing has probably changed some of the values to zero, which could potentially mess things up.  The use of logs comes from the assumption that the template encodes the mean of a categorical distribution (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_distribution<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCategorical_distribution&data=02%7C01%7Cpstewart1%40geisinger.edu%7C011956067c4b4cc5040808d67808a8f7%7C37d46c567c664402a16055c2313b910d%7C0%7C0%7C636828375923863132&sdata=Hpr%2BxC1pXZ1ZUbsO9GhqmYyNvI%2FUvoHtiajsj%2FAlUY8%3D&reserved=0>). A template GM voxel of exactly zero is basically saying that there should never ever ever be any trace of GM in that location, so the algorithm will totally freak out and break if a GM voxel does occur there.

Best regards,
-John