Dear all - As guest editor of journal Entropy's Special Issue "Entropy and Information in Networks, from Societies to Cities", I invite you to have a look at this CFP:
______________
Contemporary societies face challenges like the growing profusion of data, and shifting production processes towards levels compatible with the environmental capacity of regeneration. Practical solutions to these problems are likely to demand new levels of coordination: people will need to change habits and learn to converge their actions towards certain directions.

Such challenges for self-maintenance may be clarified through a classic concept: entropy, a measure of information in the face of uncertainty (Shannon, 1948), and a measure of disorder (Prigogine and Stengers, 1984). In one way or another, we face entropy all the time. Our lives are riddled with uncertainty, from our daily choices to the unintended collective consequences of our individual actions. Uncertainty and disorder become major issues in the self-maintenance of social systems. However, information also holds the potential to support our actions - particularly information encoded in the built environment. Cities might have a role in the system’s ability to keep itself in low entropy states. Now, seeing such challenges through this prism opens up new possibilities of understanding, and requires new approaches and methods. We invite contributions to this Special Issue devoted to the role of entropy and information in societies, cities and their future development.

for more information: https://www.mdpi.com/journal/entropy/special_issues/Societies_Cities
_______________

I also take this opportunity to let you know that my paper “Cities, from information to interaction” has recently been featured on the cover of Entropy. I would like to invite you to read it.

Inline image

https://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/20/11/834

Thanking you for your time,
Vini

Associate Professor | Head of Department of Urbanism
Universidade Federal Fluminense | UFF
Editor for Latin America: Area Development and Policy (ADP), a journal of the Regional Studies Association

To unsubscribe from the SPACESYNTAX list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=SPACESYNTAX&A=1