From: Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hardwick, Rebecca
Sent: 11 January 2019 00:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Using formal theory alongside CMO analysis

PLEASE NOTE: When you click 'Reply' to any message it will be sent to all RAMESES List members. If you only want to reply to the sender please remove [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> from the 'To:' section of your email.

Hi Julie,

Just to follow on from Fiona, yes you can, see Ray's work on reference group theory as a classic example of how substantive/formal theory can support the work you're doing.  In PhD land, these kinds of theories are helpful for either structuring the data collection and analysis, or as something to link your work to in the wind up-final chapters, in terms of how your work has developed 'new' knowledge...

Something to bear in mind is the different interpretations of things like 'context', 'mechanism of action' and outcome in such theories though - check how congruent they are with a realist understanding.  From recollection of NPT, I think their conceptualisations are close, but not exactly the same (e.g. the meaning of context and its impact/interaction in interventions is a classic thing to check for), so wise to look especially at how they have framed key concepts and the extent to which they talk about the interactions between them.  This is important and useful work - you can use it  to gain ground in your own analysis, as well as show how your work refines/develops the nuance/diverges from the formal theory.

Good luck!
Becky

PLEASE NOTE: When you click 'Reply' to any message it will be sent to all RAMESES List members. If you only want to reply to the sender please remove [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> from the 'To:' section of your email.

Hi Julie

Yes, it's my understanding that you can use substantive theories at whichever stage is most appropriate for you. I found that I couldn't decide which theory would help me most until I had formulated the Initial theory and could see what was driving it.  The NPT (for example) will help you to understand and further refine your initial theories.

Hope that helps.

Fiona