From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Foster, Ed
Sent: 06 January 2019 22:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Student Retention Literature (definitely low priority an ignorable)

Dear all

I'm working my way through a paper (woo) on improving student retention and I keep coming across phrases such as "student retention has become an increasingly important agenda recently". I'm having a slightly twitchy reaction to this (I think it's because I'm getting old) because it's just not true.

So

I reckon that the first significant studies into retention/ students success are:

UK - Yorke et al & Ozga & Sukhnandan (1997) Undergraduate non-completion in higher education in England

Australia - McInnis, C. and James, R., with McNaught, C. (1995) First year on Campus, Centre for the Study of Higher Education, University of Melbourne/Australian Government Publishing Service.<https://melbourne-cshe.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/1714682/FYE.pdf>

USA - Tinto (1975) (although I think most people have only read the 1993 book (miaow))

I've blogged<https://livinglearninganalytics.blog/2019/01/06/student-retention-research-a-history-lesson/> it, but am I miles out? Are there really important antecedents that I'm missing?

And

  *   Anyone from a country not mentioned got thoughts on early work in your own national context?
  *   Any thoughts on significant studies/ reports/ edited books (published in 2010 or otherwise)?

Best wishes and happy new year

Ed

DISCLAIMER: This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University. Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.