Thanks for this, although I think pre-search would be a more catchy and apt
name for it.

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 11:04, Gordon Asher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi - and a grand new year to y'all
>
> Thought this seemed most relevant to omgoing chats, debates and dialogues
> around use of sources, referencing etc.,?
>
> Katherine Firth - Wikipedia, Dictionaries, Encyclopaedias and
> “pre-research”
>
> *We all know academic writing “shouldn’t quote Wikipedia”*… but what we
> often get wrong is *why* it’s not ‘the done thing’
> <https://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/may/13/should-university-students-use-wikipedia>
> .
>

> The real reason isn’t that it’s not peer reviewed–after all, it’s okay to
> quote primary texts, newspaper articles, memoirs and artistic reviews in my
> line of research! It’s not even that it isn’t ‘edited’ in the most
> traditional sense. It’s not even that it’s sometimes wrong (though it
> sometimes is!).
>

> *The real reason is that it’s part of a large stack of reading,
> understanding and thinking that happens before you get down to the next
> stage of research*. Wikipedia has it’s own take on this, which aligns
> closely with what I’m going to say here!
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_use>
>

> *I’m going to call this ‘pre-research’ and everyone does it.* If you
> aren’t regularly doing pre-research, that’s usually  because you aren’t
> moving into new fields much, and so you did your pre-research years ago.
> But most of us who teach need to do it regularly, and many of us who work
> in interdisciplinary fields have to do it a lot.
>

> What is pre-research? *Pre-research is the thing you do to get an idea of
> the lay of the land, to know what the field is, before you jump in to a
> deeper literature review. *
>

> https://researchinsiders.blog/2019/01/03/wikipedia-dictionaries-encyclopaedias/
>
> <https://researchinsiders.blog/2019/01/03/wikipedia-dictionaries-encyclopaedias/>
> Wikipedia, Dictionaries, Encyclopaedias and “pre-research” – Research
> Degree Insiders
> <https://researchinsiders.blog/2019/01/03/wikipedia-dictionaries-encyclopaedias/>
> I teach research and writing skills at La Trobe University. I was part of
> the team that founded, and still run, #thesisbootcamp with the Graduate
> Students Association at the University of Melbourne.
> researchinsiders.blog
>

> Work like you don't need money
> Love like you've never been hurt
> and dance like no-one's watching
>

> "Education either functions as an instrument which is used to facilitate
> integration of the younger generation into the logic of the present system
> and bring about conformity or it becomes the practice of freedom, the means
> by which men and women deal critically and creatively with reality and
> discover how to participate in the transformation of their world." Paulo
> Freire (Pedagogy of the Oppressed)
>

> "Education is the point at which we decide whether we love the world
> enough to assume responsibility for it, and by the same token save it from
> [...]

*Stephen Gow*

*Academic Integrity Coordinator*
*Secretary of the Standing Committee on Assessment *

Academic Support Office
Currently in D/K/116b - Derwent - former CELT offices

01904 321135

Gow, S. (2014). A cultural bridge for academic integrity? Mainland Chinese
master’s graduates of UK institutions returning to China. *International
Journal for Educational Integrity*, *10*(1).
<http://www.ojs.unisa.edu.au/index.php/IJEI/article/view/935>

[image: Image result for tef gold email banner york]