Ok I see, I just saw it in the the flirt paper. Just wondering do you think these number are publishable as is? I am currently working on a project developing a new registration technique. It would be nice to present a variety of metrics to demonstrating improved registration.

Aaron Tanenbaum

From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jesper Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:11:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] flirt cost function

Dear Aaron,

I am trying to understand the cost function values that are coming out flirt. I am using the following command

flirt -in inimg.nii -ref refimg.nii -schedule $FSLDIR/etc/flirtsch/measurecost1.sch -cost somecostfunction

The cost function values are not what I would expect and in many cases are out side of the possible range of many of the cost functions. For instance, for some reason I am getting negative numbers for mutual information. In one of my tests I set the reference and input image as the same image. I get the following values for different cost functions

mutualinfo = -0.972365
corratio = 0.0138204
normcorr = 0.00646079
normmi = -1.39582

Is this what I would expect?

a cost-function is just a proxy for “how well registered” two images are. In general their actual values is of no consequence. The only thing that matters is where in the parameter space that the minimum occurs. So for example with something like MI it is actually the maximum MI that indicates that the images are registered, so therefore one uses the negation of the MI instead. Also, any terms in the calculation of the MI that are constant (with respect to the parameters) one can chose not to calculate, thereby speeding up the calculations. Therefore the values you see may not be in the range you expect, nor even have the expected sign.

I think the details are in MJ’s original flirt paper.

Jesper

Aaron Tanenbaum